Bumble foot? Help!

Violetsfeathers

Songster
8 Years
Feb 22, 2015
Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
My white Cochin bantam hen Marshmallow has a wart on the bottom of each of her feet, is it bumble foot? What should I do? help!
How did she get it?

Sometimes bumblefoot can be really stubborn. Several of my girls have had it. Some went away without any treatment, some I had to do one surgery and that fixed it, and one I am still battling right now. I have been working on curing this one hen for several months now and I think she is finally starting to improve.
Here are my suggestions if you want to put in the effort:
Address any nutritional needs; I have switched to fermented feed/grain and mine free range all the time
Address any physical causes; Are the perches low enough? Are they smooth? Is the ground soft where they are jumping down? I actually just got carpet to cover their perches and the ramp they walk down. I saw somewhere that the ramps with pieces of wood across them are harsh on their feet...
Treatment:
Soak in Epsom salt bath and massage the feet to loosen the kernel
Clean the area with iodine/betadine.
If there is a thick scab, remove it and squeeze the foot (like a pimple) to try to get the kernel out. If nothing comes out, I have used a scalpel to make the hole just a bit bigger by cutting across like this: Φ You don't have to cut in the center where the scab was just on either side and only a tiny bit at a time, this is just to make it easier for the kernel to come out. It might bleed a bit, just keep paper towels or cotton balls handy. I have tried cutting entirely around the scab but I feel like this causes too much damage and unnecessary pain/bleeding. I prefer not to cut at all but sometimes the hole where the scab was is just too small for anything to come out.
Once you get the kernel out, clean the area with vetericyn if you have it, cover with antibiotic ointment or nustock, place a piece of gauze over the wound and wrap with vet wrap. Change the wrap as often as you can. As long as the scabs aren't dark brown/black, they are healing. Check the foot each time you are changing the wrap for warmth and swelling. If it is warm, the infection is active and you need to do the surgery again. If it is not warm but the foot isn't entirely healed, keep wrapping it.
I believe just keeping it clean and wrapped will help it heal on it's own but it takes time. I am going to experiment with using drawing salve and the little circle corn (like you get on your feet) pads to see if that will push the infection out a bit faster. I will let you know how this works...

Yep, definitely bumble. I'd say try the tricide neo and if there's no improvement go ahead with the surgery.

I am going to post what I do to help her
So, first I washed her feet and butt a bath(cuz it was poopy) with dawn soap and right now she is soaking in Epsom salt.

Last edited:
after I soaked her feet in Epsom salt i blow-dried her, then me and my mom picked the scab off and put tea tree oil on the place where it was. Then I put her in a pen where no chicken poop was (in grass) With some food an water (I also gave her a rotten pear that we had). I did not bandage up her feet, (anyone know how to vet wrap feathered feet?) when it was time to put her away I had clean beding and a new clean roost separate from the other chickens for her. (With food and water of course) mom said we would wrap her feet tomorrow.

Last edited:
I don't think so unless you have a local specialty fish store, or maybe you might find a local pet store that carries it.

We found something like it as a liquid at pet smart, and the main ingredient was tea tree oil, which is why we put that on her. My mom put it on a band-aid in her finger once and when she took it off there was a square, red burn mark where the band aid pad was, because it had soaked in and burned her skin. So that is why we did not bandage Marshmallow, did I tell you that was her name?

Back
Top Bottom