1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bumble foot or not?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by scarletjane36, Jan 3, 2016.

1. scarletjane36

scarletjane36 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    I have a cockerel who is limping. I picked him up and this is what I saw
    [​IMG]

I tried to peel some of it off, no blood but it was distressing him. I cleaned it with some water, then sprayed some blue kote on it.
    What do you think is it bumblefoot? and if it is, what should I do about it?
    thanks in advance.

2. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    It looks to me like he cut his foot on something. It doesn't look too infected yet. I would soak the foot in some epsom salt or iodine solution, then apply some antibiotic ointment and then wrap his foot. Put a piece of gauze over the wound so the latex in the vet wrap doesn't irratate the flesh.

Keep it dry and wrapped for about a month. Check it daily for a while and keep it wrapped until it is completely healed.

4. scarletjane36

scarletjane36 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    Well, I'm soaking his foot and bandaging it up, thanks to all for the help.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    Keep an eye on it for about a month. Keep it bandaged and dry and check it daily for the first couple of weeks. These things can take 5 or 6 weeks to completely heal. You don't want bacteria getting up into the pad, so keep it completely bandaged for at least this long.

Good luck and keep us posted! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by