Bumble foot treatment

Pics
Have you tried taking a pair of sterile tweezers and pick off the tip where the scab was if you feel a hard kernel still in there? Rarely do they resolve on their own which usually means we have to go in and get them but as minor as hers were it was worth trying with out getting invasive.

The scab came off the one in the center but there doesn’t really seem/feel like there is anything else in there. I fear I may need to open it a little more? She is so displeased with the whole process I’m trying to be an uninvasive as possible. The one on the tip of her toe seems like a legit scab/bumble so I think that one should come out pretty easily. I just hadn’t worked on softening it up yet because I just saw it today. I think tomorrow I will plan for a long soak and then try to get in there.

Good news! I’ve had a few setbacks since discovering Sonia’s bumblefoot but last weekend I recommitted to daily soaking and wrapping and today the whole dang kernel pushed its way out.

No photos except of the bumble after the fact because I was working solo. I found she is a lot easier to handle if I lay her on her back in my lap and work on her myself.

I would use Theracyn wound spray. I use it on all my livestock and it works wonders and fast. It's something I always have in hand. Continue the soak and get as much of the scan crud off as you can. You can also try to wrap it with the antibiotic salve. Some people have used crushed Mullein as a poultice but I have not tried it personally.

Ok so we are 2 days post bumble removal and the wound is totally covered over. Attaching a photo of the scab here. I think this looks like a regular healthy scab? I left it uncovered tonight after cleaning it but she is still inside the run on soft straw. Going to just keep and close eye but the swelling seems to be going down and the area is no longer hot to the touch.
74B10DE8-25F7-438D-9015-622B8380B7CA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom