1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bumble Foot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ruby2zdaze, Jun 9, 2017.

1. ruby2zdaze

ruby2zdaze Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2016
    Orange County CA
    Thinking this is bumble foot, but she's acting fine & not limping. 1st time dealing with this as this is our 1st backyard flock. This is my son's baby!

Is this contagious to our other 3 hens or to humans?
    We just ordered some iodine to do a iodine and sugar wrap. If the scab has no crusty edge, do we still need to pull it off or is this just the beginning so just a soak and wrap may help?
    Thank you in advance. :)
    Our plan was to soak it in a bath, iodine & sugar wrap.

Attached Files:

2. brendaolson

brendaolson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    North Idaho
    I've got a duck with bumblefoot and I've been looking at how to treat it. I have read about the clear iodine but I haven't read anything about a sugar wrap. Can you tell me more about this please?

3. Top Rooster

Top Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    You'll still need to pull it out just to make sure it's gone. No it isn't contagious to other chickens or humans it's just an infection from a scratch or something.

ruby2zdaze likes this.
  4. ruby2zdaze

Jul 16, 2016
    Orange County CA
    We were searching last night and read that you mix iodine with sugar to a peanut butter consistency. Slap it on and wrap it up. We were also thinking Manuka honey.
    We're just not sure if this is her regular footing, because she's not limping and we don't feel any type of "scab".

5. ruby2zdaze

Jul 16, 2016
    Orange County CA
    So when we soak it, will the scab, if there is one, wrinkle to be able to catch and pull? I hope that made sense. Lol

6. ruby2zdaze

Jul 16, 2016
    Orange County CA
    For some reason, I have stuck my oiled fingers in a vent hole, but squeezing any type of what I saw in videos last night, makes me cringe & sweat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by