Bumble foot

I got the neosporin and chlorhexidine for when the piece is removed. I bathed her in epsom salt 5 times yesterday and each time she got more and more annoyed. I did it once today so far, so later today I'm going to see if I can remove the scab. She is walking on it normally now because before she was limping. She seems more active, so I'm assuming that's a good sign.

The soaking is probably helping with pain and swelling. If she's not tolerating the soaking you can use decolorized iodine and wrap it overnight. That usually softens it up well. I often do that as I don't have to sit with a bird for 20-30 minutes for the soak.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was planning on trying to remove the scab tonight when I have help, I'm not sure if it would be beneficial if I tried sooner than that or if it wouldnt matter

The attempt was a failure. We got the scar picked a bit but it's not really up above the skin so it's really hard to get it out then it started bleeding alot so we stopped. Is bleeding normal or should it be like pus? We wrapped it up with tape for the night.

Attachments

• 20220612_193901.jpg
    20220612_193901.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 5
If bumblefoot is caught early, and it's small and shallow, then often time topical treatment may be enough. The lesion pictured is too large for that to be effective, so the scab needs to be removed and it needs to

The attempt was a failure. We got the scar picked a bit but it's not really up above the skin so it's really hard to get it out then it started bleeding alot so we stopped. Is bleeding normal or should it be like pus? We wrapped it up with tape for the night.
Bleeding is normal. Are you soaking it in warm epson salt water, like bath water, for ar least 20 min? I found the warmer water helps to lossen it. It should come off fairly easily like pealing a scab. If it doesnt soak a little longer next time and try again. I have this blue ointment its just for chickens I found really helps for this. Keep wraping it after each treatment, once you get thay scab off amd the core out if there is one it will heal quickly.

Ok thanks I wasnt going to keep pulling before I knew bleeding was ok. Shes soaking right now, and I'll do it periodically through the day before trying to pull it off again.

Also, I had her out for a while afterwards, her foot is vibrating a bit. Shes not limping on it, but when it's up in the air its shaking. Is that an issue?

We still haven't gotten the scab off and we have her back out with the flock. Her foot isnt bothering her anymore, the swelling has gone down, but the scab is still there, even though it is loosening a bit. She seemed much more happy now. Are we going after the wrong way? Is leaving it alone the worst thing someone can do?

I dnt take the scabs off everytime. I would just watch her. If she starts limping again try again. It may heal on its own at this point.

Back
Top Bottom