Bumble foot

Just thought I'd update on the TricideNeo. She is limping less and less each day. Today, limping just a little bit, and only when she runs. The 2 black dots are still there, but the swelling is only slightly noticeable now. I'm soaking just once day, because that's all I have time for.

Quote:
Keep soaking til the limping goes completely away. Keep up the good work!
thumbsup.gif

Thats wonderful Janine! I may have to go find what you are using and soak my hen in it. Tonight, noticed my big Buff Orpington roo, Chief, limping some so I sighed and my husband helped me catch him. Wouldn't you know it, that danged bumble foot starting in his left foot!! Thank goodness that the right foot looks okay, and the left isn't hard or anything yet..so, tomorrow we catch him, treat it and wrap then let him go, I worry with 2 adolescent roo's in the flock if I took him out for a few days then let him back in, I would have some bad fighting on my hands. Hopefully treating it without soaking, as Chief would not tolerate that, I will do what I can for him.

I do worry as I am going to Nebraska for a week to see a friend and my husband will do Lil Bit but not sure if he will be able to do Chief by himself, our son is not the one to do the cleaning and wrapping. Asking him to hold an almost 5 or so lb bird who is strong is not his strong suite either....
roll.png

Have a question about the Tricide-Neo, how much did you get? I looked it up and it said you can get it in the 1 gallon mix and wanted to know if that is how you mix it and soak your chickens feet in it? Do you cut it a bit more for a chicken? How is it used? I am wondering, after reading about it, if it would be better to soak Lil Bit, and chiefs, feet in that instead of the epsoms salt as it doesn't seem to do a lot of good.

Last edited:
Hi Carilynn, I bought the smaller quantity of TricideNeo, which makes a 1 gallon solution. It has to be dissolved in distilled water (or normal saline) because something in tap water deactivates one of the ingredients in TricideNeo. I got a 1 gallon jug of distilled water at the grocery store and poured the powder into it. You need only a little bit of the solution to bathe the chicken's foot each day, and need to store the remainder in a cool, dark place (all these instructions come with the packet). It is stable for at least a week. No, I did attempt to adjust the concentration at all because this is for external use, so the size of the animal's body doesn't matter.

If this really heals the bumblefoot entirely, I think it is a dream. The short, 1-2 times a day soaking with no cutting into the chicken's foot, is completely non-traumatic for both human and chicken.

Are people using some kind of anesthetic when doing this surgery? If so, what is it, and where do you get it?

Oh, and if you have 2 with bumblefoot now, you might want to see if there is some sharp edge somewhere in your set-up where they are cutting their feet. I know this is a common problem, but 2 at the same time in a backyard flock makes me wonder.

I completely cleaned out my coop, went over the roosts for anything off or sharp or hard, nothing. Sprayed everything down, then put fresh hay down and in the laying boxes. Tonight I put more essential oil on Chief's food and wrapped it up. Lil Bit was let out today and by noon was gimpy on the left so I brought her back in, took the bandage off and left her in the kennel for the night.

This is what I have been using:
Here is where you get the C.E.H salve and some useful information:

http://www.avianweb.com/bumblefoot.html

For the mix I am using on the bottom of the feet with the essential oils, they are:

Thieves
00ae.png
was created based on research about four thieves in France who covered themselves with cloves, rosemary, and other aromatics while robbing plague victims. This proprietary essential oil blend was university tested for its cleansing abilities. It is highly effective in supporting the immune system and good health. Ingredients are Clove (Syzygium aromaticum), lemon (Citrus limon), cinnamon (Cinnamomum verum), Eucalyptus radiata and rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis CT 1,8 cineol).

Purification
00ae.png
can be used directly on the skin to cleanse and soothe insect bites, cuts, and scrapes. Ingredients are Citronella (Cymbopogon nardus), lemongrass (Cymbopogon flexuosus), rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis), Melaleuca (Melaleuca alternifolia) lavandin (Lavandula x hybrida), and myrtle (Myrtus communis).

Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) has a fresh, sweet, floral, herbaceous aroma that is soothing and refreshing. Because it is the most versatile of all essential oils, no home should be without it. Lavender is an adaptogen, and therefore can assist the body when adapting to stress or imbalances. It is a great aid for relaxing and winding down before bedtime, yet has balancing properties that can also boost stamina and energy. Therapeutic-grade lavender is highly regarded for skin and beauty. It may be used to soothe and cleanse common cuts, bruises, and skin irritations.

Melaleuca alternifolia is highly regarded for its wide range of uses. It supports the immune system* and is beneficial for the skin. Commonly known as Tea Tree Oil.

This is the company I get my oils from. A little in a balancing oil goes a long way, I only used 2 teaspoons of the balancing oil and 3 drops of each essential oil. So, this mixture you only have to use a little to go a long way.
http://www.youngliving.com/en_US/essential-and-massage-oi

My GLW Gretchen has recurring bumble foot. Been battling this since April. She has seen the vet and been on meds. Seems that her foot gets very dirty even with vet wrap on it, etc. She gets a nice foot soak and cleaning but can't seem to keep the dirt out of the affected area. I saw on here from "Nettie" that she has a company called IndoorDucks.com. She makes chicken shoes! I bought 2 pair and they just arrived. Gretchen has an appointment with Dr. Bob on Thursday to once again cut out the bumble and we will see if the chicken shoes work with fixing her bumble foot.

They come in many colors.
http://www.indoorducks.com/images/shoes/Chickenshoe.png

Hope all goes well for Lil Bit and Chief.

I think that was used straight, this is in a dilution of balancing oil, and we only put in about 3 drops of tea tree oil. When it is on the chicken it is on a cotton ball and then wrapped with vet wrap, so far nothing bad has happened. But I do thank you for the information and will be careful.

I took Sassy to the vet yesterday for bumblefoot. Both feet. He said we caught it early. He gave her baytril and told me epsom salt soaks and bag balm to soften it and then to pick the scab off when soft to loet anything drain, but at this point he didnt think I would get much out of it. I check their feet regularly and noticed this before she started to limp. She is inside right now . He said to keep her on something soft, but I think I am going to make a pen outside with soft pine shaving so she can at least see her friends.

Good luck with your hen Sheila. Just be careful with the pine shavings, make sure there are no sharp edges to them, we use hay for our coop when we clean it out as it is soft and the hens, and roo, love it.

Please keep us updated too.

Back
Top Bottom