Bumble foot

For the mix I am using on the bottom of the feet with the essential oils, they are:

So no actual anesthetic? I think if I had to have an abscess dug out of my foot I would want an anesthetic. Does anyone know if vets have some kind of topical anesthetic, like the stuff the dentist rubs on your gums to numb it up, that could be put on the chicken's foot prior to cutting into it? Hopefully I won't ever need it, but that would be good information to have, just in case.

My hen being treated non-surgically with TricideNeo is coming along quite nicely. One of the 2 abscesses was gone after 6 days of soaking. The other is still there, but minimally swollen. She still has a very slight limp when she runs. I plan to continue daily soaks until the end of the week, and hope it is totally better by then, because we are going away.​

I have two packets of Tricide Neo coming in the mail and I too am leaving for a week, so all the care will be left to the hubby and son. If the bumble foot hasn't resolved itself when I leave Monday, then when I come home we will start soaking her feet in that, same with our roo.

How long do you soak their feet in the Tricide Neo? Do you wrap the foot afterwords or let them go and walk around till you soak again?

Hi Carilynn,

I soak for 5-7 minutes. Since it is meant for koi, we don't really know if the 5 minute limit stated on the package would apply to chickens. Dawg once mentioned he has soaked for as long as 7 mins. without any problems, so I go that long if my hen stays still.

No, I haven't wrapped her foot after soaks -- there is no open wound, so no reason to wrap it. After the soak, I give her a nice treat, and send her back to the flock. It is soooo easy...I really hope it works! She looks great today, active and vigorous, and you have to look hard to see the limp when she runs, so I am hoping it will be totally healed in another day or two.

Thank you Janine...very helpful, my stuff should come tomorrow. I am leaving for a week on Monday and would hate to start soaking them stop. The reason I ask if you cover is my little hen did have two "plugs" on either foot, so they were still semi opened and would hate for anything else to get in there and cause problems.

CariLynn, I agree, it might not be safe to use TricideNeo on an open wound, so I would wait and see if the surgical treatment worked. If it doesn't, or if your bird relapses, then maybe a trial of TricideNeo would make sense.

I just checked my hen's foot, and both black dots are GONE. I still noticed a hint of a limp earlier today. It's probably all better, and the tissue might still be a little tender, but I went ahead and soaked it anyway. I am leaving Saturday for a week, with no one up to the task of soaking her in my absence, so I want to make sure she is good and healed.

Just thought I would post a follow-up, here. I have returned from a week long vacation, after successfully treating my hen's bumblefoot with Tricide-Neo. I stopped the soaks just before I left, so she got now soaks during my 1 week absence. She still looks great - totally healed. Hopefully, this indicates a complete cure. I am very excited about this treatment. It was so simple, and easy on the hen and on me!

I have a brahma hen that had the biginning of Bumble on both feet, small blk scabs, I started soaking her feet in Epsom salt and H2o2 in the evenings, then when she went to roost I sprayed her feet with Vetericyn, after 2 days picked the scab off of the one foot and out came the plug, couldn't get the scab off the other foot so decided to give it a couple more days of spray and try again, I have the Tricide-Neo but felt it would be better used on a worse case. So anyway went to spray this morning and thought I had the wrong Brahma, there wasn't even a hole where the scab and hole had been, completely healed and no scab at all on the other foot. I know the Vetericyn is some good stuff but didn't think it would heal that quick. Anyway just wanted to share this in case it may help someone.

Quote:
Great news!! always a relief when we don't have to do any cutting.
smile.png

Thanks, Lydia, this is good to know. I had not heard of Vetericyn, so now I know there is yet another treatment option.

Tell me something, how large are your brahma hens? A lot larger than the usual dual purpose rock and wyandotte hens? I have tried to ask that in the breeds section, but never got much of a response. Seemed like they were more interested in discussing genetics, etc. I've wanted to get brahmas, but worry that if they are really big, my nestboxes won't be large enough for them. Also, how well do they lay, and how big are their eggs?

Back
Top Bottom