Bumble foot

Quote:
They are good layers of large eggs. My largest hen probably weighs 10lbs. she is a biggie. I had to lower my roost to accomodate them, the roosts are now at 1 and 2 'I use plastic bins as nest boxes, heres a pic with some of my smaller hens in it. also 1 brahma lol
42327_img_2223.jpg
my smallest B is around 6 lbs. so they can vary in size.
great birds with very sweet docile personalties.

Thanks!! Great photo! So, it does seem that I will indeed have to do some remodeling if I get brahmas. Interesting to hear they lay large eggs. I have read more than once that they only lay medium sized eggs, but I have 2 bantam brahmas whose eggs are large for bantams (as big as what I would call a "small" egg laid by a standard sized breed)...So it makes sense that a standard sized brahma would lay large eggs.

Quote:
Oh yes they lay a nice large egg. And they dress out nice too, we only had to do the roo though, can't stand the thought of eating one of my girls. I had to get these boxes for them to lay in, my other nest boxes were too small but they fit into these nicely, I love the LF breeds but you do have to be careful of them jumping down off the roost and injuring a leg. I also use deep bedding. I have Lavender Orpingtons too and they get as big or bigger than the Brahmas.

you do have to be careful of them jumping down off the roost and injuring a leg

I know what you mean. In my very first flock, I had a huge barred rock hen who sprained her leg a couple of times. Our roost is only 18 inches high, but they love to fly/hop onto our 4 ft high composting bins, which means they then have to jump down. Not good for a big heavy bird!​

Quote:
I know what you mean. In my very first flock, I had a huge barred rock hen who sprained her leg a couple of times. Our roost is only 18 inches high, but they love to fly/hop onto our 4 ft high composting bins, which means they then have to jump down. Not good for a big heavy bird!

I know it's so hard to keep them from doing stuff like this, our BH, hurt her feet I'm sure coming across the fence into our backyard hitting the stone patio, because she wants to be where we are, especially if we might be eating something lol the hen that hurt her leg I think must have been from the roost. They aren't the most elegant of birds. lol kinda clumsy actually.

Quote:
They are good layers of large eggs. My largest hen probably weighs 10lbs. she is a biggie. I had to lower my roost to accomodate them, the roosts are now at 1 and 2 'I use plastic bins as nest boxes, heres a pic with some of my smaller hens in it. also 1 brahma lol https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/42327_img_2223.jpg my smallest B is around 6 lbs. so they can vary in size.

love the nestbox- my girls might like that-
yes my brahmas are a bit on the clumsy side, but gorgeous! i need to see about some of the vetrycin

reading up on the vetrycin, it does say it is effective against staph, which is what bumble is

Last edited:
Quote:
They are good layers of large eggs. My largest hen probably weighs 10lbs. she is a biggie. I had to lower my roost to accomodate them, the roosts are now at 1 and 2 'I use plastic bins as nest boxes, heres a pic with some of my smaller hens in it. also 1 brahma lol https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/42327_img_2223.jpg my smallest B is around 6 lbs. so they can vary in size.

love the nestbox- my girls might like that-
yes my brahmas are a bit on the clumsy side, but gorgeous! i need to see about some of the vetrycin

reading up on the vetrycin, it does say it is effective against staph, which is what bumble is

I don't think you'll be dissapointed in the Vetericyn, it's a little on the pricey side but worth it to me. Listen I even use it for myself.

Back
Top Bottom