Bumblefoot and natural treatment

I have like 7 hens that have bumble foot, and I want to get rid of it without surgery. These photos are of my leghorn pullet and one of her feet is badly swollen
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

It does work, you just need to be patient with the soaking and make sure you remove all of the kernel/infection behind the scab. I've seen pictures of enormous lesions where the infection has gotten really bad, and I've never done one that advanced, so that might be more challenging. All of mine have been pretty small, no bigger than what you have pictured, as I check feet regularly and they don't have time to get terrible and large. Once it's cleaned out it may take a bit for the swelling to go down. There is another treatment that is discussed, though not as much. That is soaking with Tricide Neo, which is an antibiotic for Koi fish. You can search for that if you are interested. I prefer not using antibiotics on my hens if I can possibly avoid it, so have not gone that route, but I know it has been used. I don't know if the medication would be absorbed through the skin enough to be an issue with eating the eggs or meat.

I soak in Warm Epsom salt water sometimes it takes 2-4 days for scab to get where I can pull off with out taking good skin. Usually only around 3 though. After soaking I use a qtip and spread clear iodine over the bumble top and bottom of foot. Usually after removing the scab the bumble kernel comes out very easy using a sterile tweezes or the bumble has gone away the clear iodine helps bring it to the surface and sometimes there is nothing there but the hole. I then use antibiotic ointment and wrap the foot till hole has healed. Change the bandage every couple of day no matter how good I wrap they always manage to get inside nasty dirty. Epsom salt solution I use is pretty strong half cup to a large bowl of warm water.

Ok thanks guys. Today I put a lavender water mix in a spray bottle and then I put bag balm on top of that and bandaged it. Someone said that lavender essential oil would help treat it a little. It kind of seems to be working but I don't know for sure. And for the soaking could I just soak it in salt? And when I take the scab off does the kernal come with the scab?

Back
Top Bottom