Bumblefoot basics?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by watchdogps, Sep 14, 2011.

1. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    So, I went out and checked on my new birds and at least one looks like he may have bumblefoot. Fat swollen feet, and he's already missing toes, so may be a chronic thing for him?
    Is there a place I can get the basics on bumblefoot? What it is, what to do? Should they all be treated or just affected ones?
    I tried searching threads but I'm not finding what i want, which is kind of a Bumblefoot 101

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I've never had a case of bumblefoot where toes were missing. That sounds like it must have gone on for a long time. I had one hen with bumblefoot, and I did the surgery, but it did come back. I know I removed the full plug, and she was fine for a while......

What you would see would be a black scab on the bottom of the foot pad. This is what needs to be removed. I roll the chicken up in a towel, cover her face, and use a very sharp exacto knive (pointy razor blade knife) to dig out the infected plug. Then I clean out the wound as best as I can, pour some hydrogen peroxide into it to kill all the germs. Before I do the actual surgery, I cut strips of vet wrap and have it ready to wrap the foot. It's a wonderful product that clings to itself and stays on the chicken's foot even when they run around outside.

There is alot of blood, and nothing to numb the bird, but she was very still and never squawked even once. If you have toes missing, I think I would also give your chicken some antibiotics in it's drinking water for a few days after the surgery. maybe even a week. If it's feet ar really bad, then I might keep it in a dog kennel or cage to limit mobility.

When I did the surgery on my hen, I just let her go right back with the flock after the surgery, and she didn't miss a beat! You would never know I even did anything to her.

Hope this helps,
    Sharon

3. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Quote:i go with this. and separate the hen from flock. : ~

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  5. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Thanks. I can handle the surgery, I have done that with warbles and abcesses. I am still wondering though:
    What IS it? Is it a bacterial infection, a virus like a plantars wart, or what?

Is it contagious? Is it a flock disease or an individual thing?

Are birds with bumblefoot considered non-edible? I ask this one b/c we are probably going to process some of these birds, and if bumblefoot birds are still edible, we may opt for that over treating.

6. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    It's a staph infection

7. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Ok, so can you eat them, or are they like eating MRSA?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by