Bumblefoot - cephaperin

PicklesMom

Songster
Jul 28, 2018
Central MA
I'm struggling with a case of bumblefoot that just doesn't seem to want to get better in our Pekin. It was drained by our vet last week who got several chunks of the pus out. We've been soaking with dilute chlorhexadine, spraying with vetirycin, and applying bacitracin. I've had two pea-sized clumps of pus come out while soaking and massaging in the last two days and today her leg feels warm, though not red or limping. She's living indoors on soft clean bedding right now. We have another vet appointment in two days are waiting on a call back today.

I wonder if anyone has ever used this in bumblefoot? https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...thine-dry-cow-mastitis-treatment?cm_vc=-10005
I've had great luck with it on our horses with thrush, and it should be active against staph. I remember it has a narrow little applicator so thinking it would be easy to squirt into the affected area but hesitant to do anything unsafe.

Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear she isn't getting better, yet. :(

I haven't heard of that medication used for bumblefoot before. Hopefully your vet will have some answers for you later today. I'm surprised your duck isn't on systemic antibiotics, but I'm sure your vet has a good reason.

I'm sorry to hear she isn't getting better, yet. :(

I haven't heard of that medication used for bumblefoot before. Hopefully your vet will have some answers for you later today. I'm surprised your duck isn't on systemic antibiotics, but I'm sure your vet has a good reason.
Thanks, I think I am anxious and overreacting. Her leg wasn't hot last night when I went to do her soak, and overall she isn't laying down like she was and the swelling is less. I would love it if the cephaperin were a good choice in general, though :)

Can you post a few clear pictures of her foot?
I haven't been able to get a clear shot, but we went back to the vet today. Vet felt like it looked better than last week and was filling in with healthy tissue. She flushed it and removed some of the scab that had formed from the incision the week prior so that it could continue to drain. No more heat in the leg since Monday. I'm so tempted to try the cephaperin but just going to stay the course.

I haven't been able to get a clear shot, but we went back to the vet today. Vet felt like it looked better than last week and was filling in with healthy tissue. She flushed it and removed some of the scab that had formed from the incision the week prior so that it could continue to drain. No more heat in the leg since Monday. I'm so tempted to try the cephaperin but just going to stay the course.
If you do try it be careful with confiding that to your vet. I did that once and my vet chewed me out for 35 minutes. 😮

Back
Top Bottom