Duck bumblefoot surgery help - large bumble

It won't hurt to do both in Epsom salt water that will help with healing. Once you get the other done keep covered and then check say every couple days to see how they are looking, You'll most likely have to change the bandage anyway every couple days.
Gotcha.
I may try and change the bandage daily ish just to make sure it's clean and healing well/ put some gel and ointment on it (if this is a good way to go if not do not have to do it as often)
Appreciate the assistance on this one

*Update*

Just giving an update to show the feet 10 days after surgery

Here are both the right foot(not much done to it) and left foot (which had a large bumble)
20230918_191205.jpg
20230918_191209.jpg
20230918_191214.jpg

20230918_191220.jpg

I'm hoping they look OK as this is my first time time with this.
But from my knowledge of many wounds, scabs etc i want to say they look fine. There is no redness. There is no swelling or heat that i can can perceive.
The scabs themselves have a green hue but i think that's do to the epsom salt gel which is a very vibrant green. Its very thin and very soft but intact

She has been relegated to the dry pen in the yard but that is in a large yard so her friends are there just on the other side and they still hang out so she doesn't freak out and hasn't tried to escape.

Every other day she gets a bath with epsom salt, chlorhexadine, and iodine. Iodine is then sprayed on the wound. Followed by a gauze pad that has neosporin and epsom salt gel. This is attached with bandaids and then self-adhesive wrap. Followed by the duck shoes which are further held on with more wrap.

She shows no sign of pain or discomfort and walks fine (as fine as a duck with big floppy shoes)

That's it for the update, i think so far so good. I will continue with this treatment unless directed otherwise. Not sure when the scab will really start shrinking but definitely not there yet

Thanks for any and all assistance

I think you've done a great job, it sure isn't anything that can be done in a few days is it?

Keep up with what your doing and hopefully, soon she'll be walking around without all the wrapping etc. That was a big bumble they take a while to heal.

***Update***
It has been almost a month (about 25 days) since the bumblefoot surgery of Blanche the duck.
Today, after her Barth in chlorhexadibe and epsom salt, the large blister/scab came off. I believe it looks very well, it has obviously been healing. It is much smaller than originally, not nearly as deep, and just looks better.
I will post the immediate post surgery pics and the pics from today.
Reminder: the first pic is pretty graphic

3596365-1958db0b7c43c8f313332d84ade88431.jpg
20231004_191718.jpg

I do see a few tiny white specks on one side, hard to photograph; which tells you how small they are. Im hoping it's just fat or something.

I am going to continue the treatment of keeping her from swimming while wrapping with gauze and iodine/epsom salt gel.

Any and all thoughts/ comments are welcome

Back
Top Bottom