PEKIN BUMBLEFOOT QUESTIONS

summerhatch

Chirping
14 Years
Jan 29, 2010
Good morning-I have a few bumblefoot questions throughout this post so please bear with me:
A few months ago I adopted 4 pekin ducks from our local waterfowl rescue. I was assured they were healthy and vetted. Two weeks later, one duck started limping, losing feathers and stopped foraging. Bumblefoot. I discovered it too late and she didn’t make it.
I have had poultry here for 8 years and NEVER had a case of bumblefoot before. Now, a second duck has it.
Questions:
1) Is it possible that the ducks I brought in bright the staph infection to my property, so now it’s here to stay and a threat to all my other poultry?
2) I have been soaking my current duck’s feet in warm epsom salt daily. She is acting ok and eating, but the lumps are getting bigger. They are soft and forming that ominous black scab. Is there anything else I can do besides cut it out surgically?
3) After soaking, I spray her feet with Microcyn poultry spray, and today I picked off a scab with sanitized tweezers, then put mupirocin ointment on it.
HOW DO YOU BANDAGE A DUCK FOOT?
4) How infectious is this staph-are my family and other pets at high risk?
PLEASE NOTE-I do not have a vet available to help me, so y’all are my go-to. Thanks! (Pics below are of both feet, as both are affected) EA078C73-8401-4C3B-B72D-F3B77AF18BFA.jpeg 8A212459-BEF8-4F25-A0CA-B89CBF6D174F.jpeg

Last edited:
Good morning-I have a few bumblefoot questions throughout this post so please bear with me:
A few months ago I adopted 4 pekin ducks from our local waterfowl rescue. I was assured they were healthy and vetted. Two weeks later, one duck started limping, losing feathers and stopped foraging. Bumblefoot. I discovered it too late and she didn’t make it.
I have had poultry here for 8 years and NEVER had a case of bumblefoot before. Now, a second duck has it.
Questions:
1) Is it possible that the ducks I brought the staph infection to my property, so now it’s here to stay and a threat to all my other poultry?
2) I have been soaking my current duck’s feet in warm epsom salt daily. She is acting ok and eating, but the lumps are getting bigger. They are soft and forming that ominous black scab. Is there anything else I can do besides cut it out surgically?
3) After soaking, I spray her feet with Microcyn poultry spray, and today I picked off a scab with sanitized tweezers, then put mupirocin ointment on it.
PLEASE NOTE-I do not have a vet available to help me, so y’all are my go-to. Thanks!
I'm sorry you've had a rough time with them so far!
Bumblefoot is generally caused by cuts to the feet or repeatedly walking on hard or rough surfaces, I think its unlikely to affect your pre-extisting birds, but since they are under treatment I would keep them separate.
Just to note for future, its usually best to quarantine new birds for 2-4 weeks, at least from my understanding, even if they get the all clear with their health I would personally take that precaution.

When you remove the scabs, do you attempt to empty out the contents of the bumble? There's usually some lovely liquids/solids, the heart of the infection, that needs to be removed. Could you possibly take a photo of some of these bumbles?
I'm no expert, just sharing my thoughts on the topic

Questions:
1) Is it possible that the ducks I brought in bright the staph infection to my property, so now it’s here to stay and a threat to all my other poultry?
PLEASE NOTE-I do not have a vet available to help me, so y’all are my go-to. Thanks! (Pics below are of both feet, as both are affected)View attachment 3226198View attachment 3226199
oh and also, as long as you wear gloves when touching the opened bumbles, I think you should be okay. Also wash your hands thoroughly after handling the birds.

I'm sorry you've had a rough time with them so far!
Bumblefoot is generally caused by cuts to the feet or repeatedly walking on hard or rough surfaces, I think its unlikely to affect your pre-extisting birds, but since they are under treatment I would keep them separate.
Just to note for future, its usually best to quarantine new birds for 2-4 weeks, at least from my understanding, even if they get the all clear with their health I would personally take that precaution.

When you remove the scabs, do you attempt to empty out the contents of the bumble? There's usually some lovely liquids/solids, the heart of the infection, that needs to be removed. Could you possibly take a photo of some of these bumbles?
I'm no expert, just sharing my thoughts on the topic
Thank you! And you are so right about the need tp quarantine; they assured me they were checked by a vet so I got complacent (ok lazy).
The same goes for isolating her-just something I dread having to deal with.
As for the bumble, not much if anything comes out when I lift the scab. It isn’t like a cyst that looks like it can be popped or expressed… I also edited to add the pics. Thanks again!

Thank you! And you are so right about the need tp quarantine; they assured me they were checked by a vet so I got complacent (ok lazy).
The same goes for isolating her-just something I dread having to deal with.
As for the bumble, not much if anything comes out when I lift the scab. It isn’t like a cyst that looks like it can be popped or expressed… I also edited to add the pics. Thanks again!
Pretty solid bumps then? Not much inside? You may benefit using duck boots instead of trying to wrap her feet, if you have any available where you are- you may be able to find some online

We have been healing some bumbles in a goose with pool noodles cut to go around the bumble to keep pressure off of it (think of a corn on a human foot) and then wrapping in vet wrap to keep the pad in place. I will attach pictures of the completed boots and make a video next time we rewrap.
Essentially you cut the noodle to the shape and thickness that will relieve pressure off the bumble and spread the pressure out across the foot. You use one thin piece of vet tape starting at the padding, going between the toes LOOSELY, back up around the ankle and then meeting at the pad where you started. Do it again but wrap loosely between the other toes. Then you do a thicker piece of vet wrap around the foot horizontally 2 or 3 times, holding the other two wrappings in place. YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE PULLING ON THE FOOT WEBBING. The first 2 pieces can be loose, the third that goes around is meant to hold them. The only purpose of the wrapping is the keep the bumble from continuing to have downward pressure and to keep the bumble clean and dry.
The first picture of the underside, the bumble is in the center on the foot pad. The second picture of the underside, the bumble is further back on the foot where the toes all come together to form a kind of heel pad.

Attachments

• 20221003_114050.jpg
    20221003_114050.jpg
    583.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20221007_104027.jpg
    20221007_104027.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20221007_104135.jpg
    20221007_104135.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221007_104155.jpg
    20221007_104155.jpg