Bumblefoot question?

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
My hen that has bumblefoot has been being treated daily (epsom salt bath, iodine flush, antibiotics, silver sufadiszine cream, bandaging) but she shows no progress. She still has a big scar on both feet although the doctor said they took it out.

Will this fall out by it self or do i have to take it off? One seems to be away from the wound itself but is stuck on.

Attachments

• IMG_4477.jpeg
    IMG_4477.jpeg
    465.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4475.jpeg
    IMG_4475.jpeg
    361.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4390.jpeg
    IMG_4390.jpeg
    467.6 KB · Views: 4
Firstly I am assuming that the photos show the bumbles as the are now not before the vet dealt with them as I see no scaring. If not please post updated photos.

I am experienced in the life cycle of Bumblefoot. I have a golden Wyandotte who has had bumblefoot so I can tell you all I have learned …
Bumblefoot is like a dandelion - it has a root which grows (normally) up inside the leg.
It will grow if not removed.
You have caught it early which is a really good thing.
You need to do the following …
  1. Soak her feet in epson salts and warm water for no less than 15 mins this softens the crust.
  2. Dry her feet and have a friend cover her head while you put her on a clean table, keep her head covered, this keeps her calm.
  3. Using a scalpel (cleaned with betadine) cut around the crust removing it and pull as gently as you can to remove the root, this will not be easy. Remember hens have no nerve endings in their feet so they don’t feel it unless you touch the bone, I’m not saying she won’t be frightened or confused though or be in discomfort afterwards
  4. Put an antiseptic cream into the hole you have made and cover the dressing with lint fabric, make sure it is well covered with cream
  5. Bind with sticky bandage and keep separate from the flock in a cage (I use a dog cage) which is padded up with towels to reduce severely her walking
  6. Keep her there in the same dressing for 4 or 5 days before redressing with more cream
  7. Keep her in the cage for another 4 or 5 days, redress with more cream and assess
  8. If it has started healing you need to decide whether or not she can join the flock but keep the bandage on for another couple of weeks
Ruby now sleeps in a nesting box to avoid ladders and perches. Her bumble has returned every couple of years and I have repeated the process but unfortunately I didn’t catch it as early as you have.
If you need further guidance there are some useful videos on YouTube (also some very unhelpful)
I wish you luck with your future treatment and if you need further advice or have questions please don’t hesitate to ask
Clearly I cannot guarantee this process but it has worked for me and Ruby,
Hugz

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom