Bumblefoot Cure

My chinese silkie have bumblefoot on both feet

This is the first time when we notice something wrong on her foot...
then we take her to Vet to cut off...

because one of our friends, he leave his chicken bumblefoot, didn't do anything about it, after a few month, his chicken walking with head point to the ground....and still walking...so he put her down...

after I hear that, we are so scare to lose our baby silkie and her name is franklin, she just 7 months old when the pic taken. she is our no.1 cutie.

so we take her to the vet get it cut off... and that is on 8 April 2015
it been close to two month now.

she still got it. :( also found our other 2 chick got it too but much smaller spot and area

I have try to soak their feet with oil that will kill methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (tea tree, lavender essential oils) also I have mix a little bit with some other oil as well...(coconut oil, lemon myrtle oil, eucalyptus oil) they are just what I've got at home...

I soak their feet with white vinegar+salt, +some oil into it with warm water, hold for 5 min
then I have cotton ball on those oil and warp on the spot and all around their feet and air dry for a min before let me chicken back to playground.

sometimes I been busy, so I just wrap their feet with oil but I think it didn't work as much as soaking it before hand :(

so no more short cut, back to the soak for about a week.
one of the chicken feet black spot fall off (I rub it off when I wraping the oil on it...)

I can see the spot on other chick is getting smaller

I am still waiting for my oil to be arrived to make a thieves oil... :( cost too much to buy in shop here in Australia.

other two chicken was getting better but our silkie was getting worst...
the infarction area is getting bigger, also after her feet been cut, the black spot is BIGGER
and still there...

also for some reason, the silkie been pick very hard by one of the chick (kate)
she was that scare and sleep inside the laying box and scare to come out to the playground with other chick...

I thought she was sick or the feet infarction was affecting her.
so last night I have help with my partner and cut her feet open...

one feet is ok? just a black hard spot/ skin but nothing under it, but other one is not...got lots of stuff inside.... I try to squeeze but nothing real come out....
is all soft like melt cheese...can't get hold on any of it :(
this morning I just buy some spoon thing call spatula. if I have to do it again...

anyway, I have try my best... she live in the bath at the moment with classics music radio for her

will give the donut thing a try after tomorrow when we need to change her pad.
will soak her feet in water+mix oil+salt, no vinegar it hurt too much on a cut for her...?
because I cut myself last night when cleaning the tool, this morning my finger got contact with vinegar just a little bit it hurt like hell!!

silkie have very tiny feet... so I have to make the donut quite small...

so the donut hole have to be same size as the black spot / cut open area isn't??

If anyone know? :)

Make the hole just slightly larger than the black spot. Carefully wrap around the foot with vet wrap to secure in place. Be sure to change every other day. It will take many weeks, but the infection should push out. Good Luck!

My chinese silkie have bumblefoot on both feet

This is the first time when we notice something wrong on her foot...
then we take her to Vet to cut off...

because one of our friends, he leave his chicken bumblefoot, didn't do anything about it, after a few month, his chicken walking with head point to the ground....and still walking...so he put her down...

after I hear that, we are so scare to lose our baby silkie and her name is franklin, she just 7 months old when the pic taken. she is our no.1 cutie.

so we take her to the vet get it cut off... and that is on 8 April 2015
it been close to two month now.

she still got it. :( also found our other 2 chick got it too but much smaller spot and area

I have try to soak their feet with oil that will kill methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (tea tree, lavender essential oils) also I have mix a little bit with some other oil as well...(coconut oil, lemon myrtle oil, eucalyptus oil) they are just what I've got at home...

I soak their feet with white vinegar+salt, +some oil into it with warm water, hold for 5 min
then I have cotton ball on those oil and warp on the spot and all around their feet and air dry for a min before let me chicken back to playground.

sometimes I been busy, so I just wrap their feet with oil but I think it didn't work as much as soaking it before hand :(

so no more short cut, back to the soak for about a week.
one of the chicken feet black spot fall off (I rub it off when I wraping the oil on it...)

I can see the spot on other chick is getting smaller

I am still waiting for my oil to be arrived to make a thieves oil... :( cost too much to buy in shop here in Australia.

other two chicken was getting better but our silkie was getting worst...
the infarction area is getting bigger, also after her feet been cut, the black spot is BIGGER
and still there...

also for some reason, the silkie been pick very hard by one of the chick (kate)
she was that scare and sleep inside the laying box and scare to come out to the playground with other chick...

I thought she was sick or the feet infarction was affecting her.
so last night I have help with my partner and cut her feet open...

one feet is ok? just a black hard spot/ skin but nothing under it, but other one is not...got lots of stuff inside.... I try to squeeze but nothing real come out....
is all soft like melt cheese...can't get hold on any of it :(
this morning I just buy some spoon thing call spatula. if I have to do it again...

anyway, I have try my best... she live in the bath at the moment with classics music radio for her

will give the donut thing a try after tomorrow when we need to change her pad.
will soak her feet in water+mix oil+salt, no vinegar it hurt too much on a cut for her...?
because I cut myself last night when cleaning the tool, this morning my finger got contact with vinegar just a little bit it hurt like hell!!

silkie have very tiny feet... so I have to make the donut quite small...

so the donut hole have to be same size as the black spot / cut open area isn't??

If anyone know? :)

EXCELLENT YES USE THIEVES OIL,
thumbsup.gif
it really cured my young NHR hen , and made the black spot fall right off.., i just put the thieves oil on every day & in a few days the black spot fell righ off...! I pray you have the same good luck with your sweet little silkie when using thieves oil...!!! wishing you the best of luck with that horrible bumblefoot, all my best to you take care Dianna
frow.gif

Hi
One of my chicken Kate black sport is fall off, I rub it off, so it have a hole there, I still soak her foot while I got everything ready to soak other chicken I still keep her foot soak anyway,
After 5 day the hole turn to black spot again... Not dirt I rub with wet oil cotton but look nothing under it at all...

This time I keep the white chick on bath for near a week now... She got no sun at all will that not good for them? I found her blue circle go more white no colour now... Will she be ok??

She is back to normal not scare anymore and make her normal sound again :)

My partner say may take her down to garden have a bit of walk n play tomorrow...

Will keep an eye on her foot

Every second day we sock her foot in vinegar, salt and oil warm water, then we put yellow cream n white cream on her feet
With donut ring under cream pad.

For those of you that allowed bumble foot to heal on it's own - were any of your hens sores swollen? I have one hen with bumble foot. Her foot is swollen, she has the classic scab, but it's not very pink and she's not limping. She keeps up with the rest! I have struggled to catch her even at night she gets away her and she's good at escaping my arms. Not sure I can treat her so I would love to hear that it might go away on its own!

I would love pictures. One of my hens has a lump on the bottom of her foot which I tried to cut out and there's even an bump visible on the top of her foot too. I was able to squeeze some of the puss out of it, bandaged it up and when I removed the bandage the top was swollen again the and bottom had a small hole where I could see an open sore. Thanks

One of my hen's Bumblefoot got so bad that she had a difficult time even getting up on her feet. I read your post and ended up cutting platform 'shoes' for my girl out of the sole of an old orthopedic bootie that I had - removed the sole pad and found that it had little compartments (kind of like a beehive) throughout; the bumble fit perfectly down into one of the compartments - so I wrapped them with duct tape, cut a hole thru the tape to expose the compartment, and strapped them to her feet with VetWrap.
I decided then that you were a genious!
And btw, I was amazed that Henrietta never even tried to pick the VetWrap off that I could see. I don't think that stuff could be pecked off anyway!
Anyway, I took my dog to the Vet the next day, and ended up asking him about it. He gave me an antibiotic (can't recall the name right now), and I treated her with that for 15 days. After about 3+ weeks, she started loosing 1 of the platforms daily; several days later, both of them were coming off within hours after I had redressed the feet. The bumbles had started shrinking. They have shrunk a great deal, the 'scabs' are now gone, and Henrietta is up scratching and acting like she wants out of the cage. She has been doing fine the past 3 days since I removed all dressing. Do you think I could let her back with the other hens now?

Sorry, WV Mountains, I just saw this. I am so glad your hen is feeling better. I actually never separated my hen, and, at this point, you have probably reunited your hen with the flock. I knew the bumble foot was cured when I plucked a hard protruding mass from the bottom of Grace's foot. It was the infection that had worked it's way to the surface where the hole in the splint was. Please let me know how your hen is doing.

We've had crazy weather here. My chickens have been inside vs free range for months. The past week and a half they have been out and happy till bumble foot showed upin a few. The goathead stickers were all pulled in their acre of poultry netting but it didn't stop the wind from blowing old ones in.
This is the only thing I can figure since its my first bumble foot in 4 years since moving here. They got soft feet from being in then stickers after being out Finally.
One ancona had the hard plug I got out and it's being wrapped 28th Neosporin after long Epsom salt soaks. One WS same thing but my BO has a huge swollen foot and I can't see anything. Its very hot to the touch so I soaked her and started antibiotics
I'll be trying the pad tomorrow.
Thank you all and I think I'll try a larger pad on BO just to see if something happens???

I wonder if health food stores would carry it? I have a hen with suspect bumblefoot but I am just not sure. She has a bump on her toe, it's not black, but her foot is very sore. I don't see where it would hurt to try the thieve's oil stuff?

Back
Top Bottom