Bumblefoot Cure

Thanks for the link. It does help. I'm doing something similar but these pics give me ideas to refine what I am doing. I have a mixture I am applying that I have put together that looks like it is making progress. Depending on how fast or slow it works, I'll post what I did. Thanks again!

I had one girl that was a bit gimpy, and had a couple of very dark scales on the bottom of one foot. This came on after I forcefully pulled her out of the raspberry patch, and I'm certain that in her haste to get away, she got a thorn, though I never saw it. She stayed a big gimpy last summer, I wrapped it once or twice, didn't see any benefit to that, so let nature take it's course. She's fine, no further development. All appears to be well with her. I agree, we tend to micromanage every little detail of our flocks, sometimes to their detriment. But, aren't chickens just plain FUN!!!!
:goodpost::clap:highfive::thumbsup right on , i totally agree , a year ago i saw these little black spots on the bottom of a few of my older girls, they were healthy and i felt that adding a bit more greens & vegies into their diet was the way to go, and help the body to heal itself , so i didn't worry and in a few months time i checked to see , and it was all gone and has never returned..!! but i believe in feeding, all the right foods to help the body heal it self , and thats always worked well. :thumbsup :highfive::yesss::clap :D

This us hoW my vet treated my hen with bumblefoot. However, for the donut-shaped cushion, she used a fun noodle. You know, the foam noodles used when swimming. She said she learned that trick on vet school. She cut off about 1 inch thick sections and sandwiched between two nonstick gauze pads, then secured with vet wrap. No cutting, no antibiotics. So glad we didn't have to deal with cutting.
did the vet apply or spray anything on the wound before the cushion was secured?

I wanted to share a treatment that FINALLY cured my bantam sebright hen of a chronic case of bumblefoot. After 4 bumblefoot surgeries and a month of Baytril, I decided to take Grace to the vet. He instructed me to stop cutting into her and to bandage her with a donut-like splint on the bottom of her foot. I used pipe insulator my husband had and used his drill press with a half inch bit to cut holes in the insulator material. I then used vet wrap to fasten it to the bottom of her foot, with the hole over the infected area. The idea was to relieve the pressure on the infected area. I changed it every 2 to 3 days, as the pipe insulator would become compressed and needed to be replaced. After 6 weeks, the hard mass came to the surface of the foot and could easily be pryed out with no bleeding. I then wrapped for an additional week to be sure all was healed. Thankfully, after 7 long months, Grace is finally healed. Despite my constant web searching, I never found this treatment, which finally cured her. I hope someone finds this treatment helpful, and I
would be happy to provide any pics.
thank you for this info! did the vet apply or spray anything on the wound before the cushion was secured?

thank you for this info! did the vet apply or spray anything on the wound before the cushion was secured?
i ended up using corn/callus pads on their feet (the hole is already cut). all 4 girls have bumblefoot. so I needed to shave off some time. curious if that has been attempted / successful? i used a combination of treatments based on each foots condition. i was also able to cut this down to 2 hours and met a fantastic family thay also own chickens right in my neighborhood. a friend of a friend connected us. we had never met and they came to assist me on their friday night. AMAZING!!! ❤❤

@aprilbos
Could you post a photo of the corn pads on their feet? Did you have to use more than one and stack them, or did just a single one have enough depth?
did some thing similar last year to cure bumble foot in 2 of my year old new Hampshire red hens, but i just use some drawing salve for horses and covered the foot with blue coat after I did a good wash of the foot, but I was able to draw the entire thing out the top of the foot in about a week and a half time , it came out clean and whole, with out cutting at all..!!! I kept the foot rapped up and it all came out the top plus with out a vet bill, so its clean up the foot and cover in blue coat and then add lots of very strong drawing salve , wrap the foot up , and let the body expel the bumble foot thing ..? what that thing is called I don't know, but it was a nasty ugly thing and I just un twisted it from the top of the foot , it just came out , by turning it out of the foot
101_0129 bumble foot  cure   8 3 17.jpg
101_0129 bumble foot  cure   8 3 17.jpg
101_0193     bumble foot cure   8 3 17.jpg
101_0156     bumble foot cure   8 3 17.jpg
/ATTACH]
101_0173 bumble foot  cure  stub  out  8 3 17.jpg
just like unscrewing it .

Attachments

• 101_0164  bunble foot stub removed 8 3 17.jpg
    101_0164 bunble foot stub removed 8 3 17.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 101_0176  size of the thing that came out of  the  foot.jpg
    101_0176 size of the thing that came out of the foot.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 8
Thanks for the link. It does help. I'm doing something similar but these pics give me ideas to refine what I am doing. I have a mixture I am applying that I have put together that looks like it is making progress. Depending on how fast or slow it works, I'll post what I did. Thanks again!
excellent ..!!! its people like us that will show how bumble foot is no longer the horror it once was , I saw a vet tv show and a vet said he was forced to killed this poor hen he could not help with bumble foot & all for the lack of a better way , i saw on line how some people cut the birds foot up for lack of a better way..?? logic told me to just soak the foot in a strong germ killer & apply blue coat then a powerful drawing salve to draw that horrible thing out with out any open wound to complicate the issue . I was trying to get the body to reject & expel that thing deep inside the foot ,by bringing it to a head..!!! like waiting & drawing out a deep splinter till it comes out , lately I have been making my own colloidal silver at home and its great at healing things very fast , so I would use that first as a powerful germ killer . & if i had it to do all over, I would start with soaking the foot in colloidal silver then apply blue coat and then the drawing salve and wrap the foot up for a week then check it and see what is going on , but if the black pit thing has not come out enough to were you can get a good hold of it & start turning it , it should be easy to unscrew like a screw being unscrewed , so if that pit is not at the stage you can easily remove it , then, re apply every thing , and re wrap then just wait another 4 to 5 days , also wile your doing this I would also give the bird a good quality colloidal silver by mouth 5 to 6 drops a day to help the process along and to protect the entire body from any kind of infections.! I usually buy a kind of colloidal silver called MESO silver its a top quality colloidal silver for internal use , I get it from amazon and I always have it on hand in my home . its a cure all..!!! but about my home made colloidal silver its for every thing out side the body any wounds cuts or infection of any kind, its very fast and effective against most any problem. so good luck all , keep up the good work...!!! :thumbsup:highfive::frow

In an earlier post in this thread I talked about how I thought that all the hype about bumble foot is wrong. I love to see this thread continuing with more common-sense ways of dealing with it.

Prevention should be number 1. (For example, I used to use one of those ramps to enter/exit the chicken house and noticed that they were sliding on it and damaging their feet. I removed those and replaced with logs as stair-steps and no more new cases of bumble foot. Sometimes prevention is just looking around for obvious problems and fixing those.)

Anyhow, I quit treating unless there was an obvious infection and have had no issues since.

A photo showing the log steps. Even the little chicks can easily hop from level to level with no foot injury. (We had the old logs laying around here but if no logs available there are other items that could be stacked to make non-injuring steps.)

Kennel Run - In jail 2.jpg

:goodpost::highfive::thumbsupExcellent, i totally agree with you & your log steps...!! great idea .! yes use common-sense ways of dealing with any problem over all , I had a few hens years ago that I noticed the beginnings of bumble food, just some tiny black spots in the bottom of the foot but I felt the better way to go about it was to raise the nutrition in the entire flock, that seems to have worked well to keep any problems away in the first place. prevention is always our first line of defense.! like the old saying goes an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.! and those same hens are all doing well , with no sign of bumble foot at all. :thumbsup:clap;):):highfive::frow

Back
Top Bottom