Bumblefoot Day 2

Cassondra53

Chirping
Sep 29, 2020
Hello Chicken Friends!

I have a hen with bumblefoot, no limping/swelling/favoring the other foot, but that scab has been there for over 6 months now.
Last night I removed the scab and there was no kernel. Just some bleeding and pink tissue.
I am hoping some people with bumblefoot experience can look at this picture of her foot the day after scab removal and weigh in on whether this looks normal for 12-ish hours later.
Also, how often do these types of scabs have no kernel? If I do regular soaks and re-wraps, can these types of things heal even if I didn’t get a pus plug out?
Thank you so much!!
D17D8793-5411-4387-93B4-37329E66E75E.jpeg

AEA1295F-9025-4C87-ADF9-14F97A1A10B8.jpeg

When they are small and shallow there may not be an obvious plug to remove. The bacteria is still there. I would clean and flush it daily, chlorhexidine or diluted betadine work well. Remove all the pus (what I can see as white or cream colored in your pictures is likely pus) and apply plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment. Cover with a bit of gauze or telfa pad and wrap with vet wrap or co wrap. Once it's healing you can go longer between bandage changes. Even small ones can take a while to heal up.

When they are small and shallow there may not be an obvious plug to remove. The bacteria is still there. I would clean and flush it daily, chlorhexidine or diluted betadine work well. Remove all the pus (what I can see as white or cream colored in your pictures is likely pus) and apply plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment. Cover with a bit of gauze or telfa pad and wrap with vet wrap or co wrap. Once it's healing you can go longer between bandage changes. Even small ones can take a while to heal up.
Thanks so much for your input! I was nervous about removing the light colored stuff with the hopes that it was a sign of healing (I work in dental and when a person is healing from an extraction, we say it’s the color of oatmeal in the socket and that’s a good thing). But I realize not everything goes along with dentistry :) thanks again! I appreciate the reply !

All great advice here! I just want to stress that it may take a LONG time to heal. Patience is key - especially if you don't have a lot of experience with bumblefoot (which is a good thing).

Back
Top Bottom