Ducks with bumblefoot.. ugh!

Hlmyers

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2023
Both of my sweet drakes have got bumblefoot (I think!)!! I have shaved thr scabs off but there doesn't seem to be any kernel and I haven't been able to drain any fluids. It seems like there is healthy tissue under the scab and it bleeds a lot. I have been treating with systemic antibiotics (which has helped the swelling A LOT!) and trying to keep them wrapped with antibiotics on them, but it's really hard with one of them because of the location on his foot. Regular Epsom salt soaks aren't really an option due to my schedule. So I'm wondering if the systemic antibiotics alone will be able to cure/heal it, or if I need to figure out another way to treat them locally. Thanks in advance!

I attached pics of both before I removed the scabs, and one after (the other turned out too blurry)

Attachments

• 20231030_155325.jpg
    20231030_155325.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20231029_151313.jpg
    20231029_151313.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231025_155034.jpg
    20231025_155034.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 6
Both of my sweet drakes have got bumblefoot (I think!)!! I have shaved thr scabs off but there doesn't seem to be any kernel and I haven't been able to drain any fluids. It seems like there is healthy tissue under the scab and it bleeds a lot. I have been treating with systemic antibiotics (which has helped the swelling A LOT!) and trying to keep them wrapped with antibiotics on them, but it's really hard with one of them because of the location on his foot. Regular Epsom salt soaks aren't really an option due to my schedule. So I'm wondering if the systemic antibiotics alone will be able to cure/heal it, or if I need to figure out another way to treat them locally. Thanks in advance!

I attached pics of both before I removed the scabs, and one after (the other turned out too blurry)
Yes this is bumblefeet! Good job removing the scab and cleaning their feet...

You would not be able to drain any fluids because puss in ducks is a stringy solid thing instead of a liquid... you have to get it out of the feet and clean it thoroughly...
Make sure you work clean and keep the feet clean until the wounds close up! The few times I had to do this I added Iodine ointment and wrapt the feet with bandage which I replaced at least once a day. They heal real quick though!

here is the link with pictures from @BYC Support ! https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...our-chickens-with-surgery-graphic-pics.47705/

You would not be able to drain any fluids because puss in ducks is a stringy solid thing instead of a liquid... you have to get it out of the feet and clean it thoroughly...
Make sure you work clean and keep the feet clean until the wounds close up! The few times I had to do this I added Iodine ointment and wrapt the feet with bandage which I replaced at least once a day. They heal real quick though!

here is the link with pictures from @BYC Support ! https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...our-chickens-with-surgery-graphic-pics.47705/
Thanks so much!! While my mom was visiting (she's a nurse), we went out and were prepared to operate... but the bigger one looked so much better and healthier! So I'm gunna hold off on him, but I ordered more supplies for the other guy! His is so hard to keep a wrap on because of the location kinda between the toes.. it just slides right up his foot, ugh! But his is a lot smaller so hopefully it will heal faster once I get all the crud outta there!

Thank you! I did bumblefoot surgery on my duck tonight and had no clue what came out of the foot along with the plug. Looked like white strings or sinew on deer meat. I was so worried I had killed him. He didn't fuss mind you but I was beside myself. Thank you for explaining that was the pus in ducks. So its a good thing it came out.

Back
Top Bottom