First time bumblefoot

yakitori

Crowing
Jun 22, 2020
New York
I noticed my oldest hen was not as mobile and stood more on one feet. Since it’s in the 10-20s I thought she was just cold, but decided to check her feet just in case. It looks like she has bumblefoot. There seems to be a giant kernel but very little swelling. it is obviously causing her discomfort. What do I do now? I know I need to pick out the scabbed area, drain the pus, clean, apply antibiotics then wrap..

I guess my biggest dilemma is how ti wrap her feet without her picking it to pieces, and also it’s the middle of winter and while I really don’t want to keep her inside until she recovers, I feel that I may need to?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_7062.jpeg
    IMG_7062.jpeg
    445.4 KB · Views: 48

Attachments

• IMG_7080.jpeg
    IMG_7080.jpeg
    660.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7084.jpeg
    IMG_7084.jpeg
    684.1 KB · Views: 11
Next time you change the bandage, you could consider using a Betadine and sugar paste (also called sugardine) to work on the foot for 2-3 days. Prid drawing salve is another thing that some use to soften the scab so that it can be pulled off and squeezed out without surgery. Both of those are available at Walmart and other stores. Walmart’s brand of Betadine is Equate First Aid Solution. Bumblefoot is not an emergency when it looks like that so just padding the foot is okay until later. Here is a good video on bandaging a foot:

o
Next time you change the bandage, you could consider using a Betadine and sugar paste (also called sugardine) to work on the foot for 2-3 days. Prid drawing salve is another thing that some use to soften the scab so that it can be pulled off and squeezed out without surgery. Both of those are available at Walmart and other stores. Walmart’s brand of Betadine is Equate First Aid Solution. Bumblefoot is not an emergency when it looks like that so just padding the foot is okay until later. Here is a good video on bandaging a foot:
ooh, I’ll look into the Prid immediately.

I haven’t gotten the scab off completely yet, I tried soaking it for 20 mins, but it was still kind of hard so i just rubbed the ointment on for now, then gauzed and wrapped it, hoping it would soften up more over the day.

It would be awesome if I don’t have to go through the whole process of soaking and blow drying her undersides again.

Hello! I am having same problem as you, I'd love an update on your (extremely cute) chicken please :)

If you are able to get your hands on some Silver Sulfadiazine Cream 1%, I highly recommend it. It's usually a prescription item, not sure if there is a way around that or if you can get a prescription from a vet, it's used widely in humans and animals but not labeled for chickens. I can't tell you how well this has worked for all manner of injuries. Don't even have to pull off bumbles, they fall off when they are ready. I don't know if there is a egg withdrawal time, but I probably wouldn't eat the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom