Bumblefoot failure again..really need advice

chickens or bust

Hatching
Aug 31, 2021
I have cut my poor chicken's foot three times now trying to get rid of bumblefoot. The scab was the size of a small dime..soaked it, massaged it, worked it all the way around, and then went after it..small pieces broke off, then it started bleeding, and there was no puss, no stringy substance and no kernal. I dug with very sharp tweezers and removed the black pieces that I could, got a little bit of what seemed like attached flesh, squeezed all around to try to get something to come out, but just blood, and a lot of it, kept coming to the surface. Sprayed with bacterial meds, neospored it, and wrapped it, which quickly soaked with blood. Rewrapped with cotton and vetwrap.

What am I doing incorrectly??? This sweet girl just takes it and I feel very very badly. She has a very pronounced limp but layed today. Appreciate any advice.

Is there some concern you can describe as to why you think you need to keep digging after you cleaned out the wound? If you are thinking you will find pus material surrounding the bumble lesion itself due to the tissue being swollen, this is erroneous and unnecessary. The wound should not bleed when removing infected pus material.

I suggest you leave the wound alone now that you've given it a thorough excavation, check every few days for healing progress and redress. As long as the wound appears to be healing and not remaining wet and oozing, ignore any swelling surrounding the lesion and healing scab. Keep treating with superficial cleansing and ointment until the new scab falls off.

Perfect thank you. I was just concerned that unless I get a kernel out her foot won’t heal. She walked a little outside and then wanted to rest in the crate so I’ll just check the wrap again tmrw and redress. Thanks so much for response. Appreciate it.

Perfect thank you. I was just concerned that unless I get a kernel out her foot won’t heal. She walked a little outside and then wanted to rest in the crate so I’ll just check the wrap again tmrw and redress. Thanks so much for response. Appreciate it.
My vet said that if there’s no kernal or pus you caught it early and it just needs some antiseptic and healing agent. It will scab over as it heals…so you will want to keep applying new dressings every few days to help with the healing. My vet also recommended Manuka honey instead of neosporin, as it has healing factors that work well on these types of injuries. Sounds like you did all you needed to and now she just needs to heal :)

Back
Top Bottom