Bumblefoot Healing

LynetteGilbert

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2021
Hi everyone - I performed bumblefoot surgery on two of my hens the other day. I did a ton of research and watched numerous videos beforehand, but this is my first illness since I got my hens 4 years ago and so I'm not confident in my chicken doctoring skills. I was able to get the plug and surrounding hard tissue out plus some white thready bits, and I'm following steps for subsequent treatment (cleaning, rewrapping.) However, I've had trouble finding information on the healing process except for several weeks post-procedure. How do I know if I removed all infected tissue? What does it look like when it's healing up? I've attached a photo of one foot as an example of what they look like on the 3rd day post-procedure.

Thanks!

Attachments

• CB242930-0934-4D1C-B159-1B4DF8BF1A81.jpeg
    CB242930-0934-4D1C-B159-1B4DF8BF1A81.jpeg
    325.7 KB · Views: 34
Post surgery: I prefer to apply Betadine on a gauze and pack the hole with Neosporin. Then put the gauze over the packed hole. Then wrap it up with duct tape. Duct tape keeps the wound dry especially if it has been raining.
Three days later I remove the duct tape by using scissors to cut vertically down or up the leg to peel off the tape, very easy to do.

Usually by the third day it's almost healed if there isnt any swelling nor redness. If you see both, then that means there is still infection in the footpad and surgery will be required again to remove the infection. I've only had that happen once and had to repeat digging and squeezing the infection out. Not fun for the bird nor me.

If the wound looks good, I repeat with the procedure above; Betadine, Neosporin, gauze, duct tape it, and leave it on for 3 or 4 more days and then remove it. By then it has completely healed.
Altogether, you're looking at about one week complete healing time if all the infection has been removed.

Post surgery: I prefer to apply Betadine on a gauze and pack the hole with Neosporin. Then put the gauze over the packed hole. Then wrap it up with duct tape. Duct tape keeps the wound dry especially if it has been raining.
Three days later I remove the duct tape by using scissors to cut vertically down or up the leg to peel off the tape, very easy to do.

Usually by the third day it's almost healed if there isnt any swelling nor redness. If you see both, then that means there is still infection in the footpad and surgery will be required again to remove the infection. I've only had that happen once and had to repeat digging and squeezing the infection out. Not fun for the bird nor me.

If the wound looks good, I repeat with the procedure above; Betadine, Neosporin, gauze, duct tape it, and leave it on for 3 or 4 more days and then remove it. By then it has completely healed.
Altogether, you're looking at about one week complete healing time if all the infection has been removed.
Thank you so much! I've been following those steps. I'll take a really close look this afternoon with my magnifying glass and see if I missed any infection.

Back
Top Bottom