Bumblefoot - I am at a loss

Henrik Petersson

Crowing
11 Years
Jan 9, 2009
Karlskrona, Sweden
Some relevant background information

My parents own muscovy ducks and chickens. I'm 34 and don't live at my parent's place anymore, and only visit them in the weekends, but I am a lot more interested in their fowl than they are. Also, my parents are a bit lazy, and won't do things with the birds that require too much effort. For example, catching one of our ducks once a day for any length of time is out of the question (which leaves out tons of types of treatment for diseases). Furthermore, they are stubborn and usually have their own ideas about stuff, and think little of the advice of "people from the Internet".

This means that treating illness among their poultry has developed into five distinct stages:
1) Me discovering the illness.
2) Me finding a cure online.
3) Me explaining, nagging and cajoling my parents to go through with the cure, or let me go through with it.
4) Reaching a compromise.
5) Going through with the compromise.

With that in mind, let's start discussing what I can do about the almost ever-present burden of bumblefoot in our ducks.

Some history of our bumblefoot

I first noticed bumblefoot last season in one of our young 23 ducklings. It was limping, I caught it, and I saw the telltale black scab. I din't treat it at the time, but we ended up slaughtering most of the young drakes. After we'd done that, I discovered that a lot of them, maybe 50 %, had had bumblefoot (without limping).

Fast forward a bit, and I noticed the big drake occasionally limped. I told my parents we should catch him and see what it is, but they being who they are, it took three months before we finally did it. He had rather advanced bumblefoot on both feet. A doctor friend (not veterinarian) came and cut off the scabs. Afterwards, the drake was confined to living in the duck coop for about five days, walking around on clean bedding. That seemed to work, because he hasn't limped since. We never bothered to look under his feet after that.

As we treated the drake, we also (with much troble) caught the three adult hens and looked under their feet. They were fine.

Or recent problem of bumblefoot

We currently have 22 ducklings who are 8 weeks old today. Yesterday I caught a drake and looked under his feet, and saw a little telltale scab, as well as what looked like two small cuts with swollen edges. I diagnosed it as early bumblefoot. Today I caught one hen and two more drakes; they also seemed to have early bumblefoot - one had an little area where the scales were worn off and the skin was sort of wrinkly, and the others had the small cuts I'd seen in the first one.

In trying to think of what could have caused it, I came up with some possible answers:

Walking in poop

When someone is home (most of the time, my parents are retired), the ducks free range. However, my parents are on a week-long vacation right now, and the ducks have been forced to stay in their pens for several days in a row, effectively forcing them to walk around on their own litter. The pen is rather large (some 20 by 20 feet), but they mostly walk on the area in front of the gate. Can a mere few days of walking on poop be enough for bumblefoot?

Even on days when they free range, they aren't let out until maybe 9 or 10 AM, so they've probably stepped in poop then as well.

Walking on gravel

About two weeks ago, we put gravel on the area most heavily worn down by the duck's feet. This is the type of gravel:

20171003_134504.jpg

Dad assured me it would not damage their feet, since it would turn flat once it got compressed. However, after about a week, we thought it was too hard to pick up poop from it, so we covered most of it with sand. Could one week of walking on gravel cut their feet up?

The hill

Our ducks have a little hill inside the pen that they like to climb. It's largely made from rocks. Is it too rough?

20171003_134528.jpg

The planks

To elevate the ducks from the muddy ground, we once made a little "raft" of planks for them to stand on. Most of them sleep on it at night. Does it cut up their feet? It can be seen in the centre of the image here:

20171003_134517.jpg

The food

Our ducks get "ordinary" chicken pellets. It it too nutritious, causing them to grow too fast, or something? Or is it unhealthy for them in another way? The people we got them from recommended to always give them crushed oats, but since the ducks much preferred to eat the chicken's food, we switched.

The grass

The grass in the pen is sort of tough, growing in sparse tufts, rather than the smooth surface of our lawn. I feel like I'm reaching now, but could the grass be the culprit?

Curing it

The drake's treatment - getting locked up in the coop - is probably not good. The coop and pen was designed to keep up to 6 ducks, 20+ ducklings will make the coop too crowded. A picture of it:

20171003_134551.jpg

Catching them one by one and treating them with ointments and such is out of the question, for reasons already mentioned.

What may seem harsh, but I think is the best solution, is to simply slaughter all ducks that show symptoms. We meant to eat or sell all the ducklings anyway.

Is there a hereditary aspect to bumblefoot? Maybe our ducks just have really bad genes for it, and if we keep slaughtering any individuals showing symptoms for a few generations, we will eventually breed a flock much less bumblefoot-prone?

As I said, I am at a loss and would love for some input.

Hi there! In your case the bumble foot seems to be caused by a combination of things. The cause of bumble foot is an infection of an open cut or scratch on the ducks' feet. The sharp gravel could have created these small scratches (even if it was only for a small period of time), or possibly the planks could have created a splinter, and then the walking around in the enclosed pen for a while could have introduced the infecting bacteria. If you have the ability to grab a duck for a second or two, I would recommend spraying their feet quickly with Manna Pro Theracyn Wound & Skin Care Spray, this is super quick and doesn't require cutting off the scabs (in fact I would only do this as a last ditch effort in your case because it is quite time consuming). If you get more ducks or want to work on prevention of bumble foot, I suggest having a swimming area (I use a couple kiddie pools) that is always available and always clean so that they can clean their own feet before bumble foot takes root. Another thing to look out for is the removal of anything that could hurt their feet in their pen. I hope this helps and good luck!

Hi there! In your case the bumble foot seems to be caused by a combination of things. The cause of bumble foot is an infection of an open cut or scratch on the ducks' feet. The sharp gravel could have created these small scratches (even if it was only for a small period of time), or possibly the planks could have created a splinter, and then the walking around in the enclosed pen for a while could have introduced the infecting bacteria. If you have the ability to grab a duck for a second or two, I would recommend spraying their feet quickly with Manna Pro Theracyn Wound & Skin Care Spray, this is super quick and doesn't require cutting off the scabs (in fact I would only do this as a last ditch effort in your case because it is quite time consuming). If you get more ducks or want to work on prevention of bumble foot, I suggest having a swimming area (I use a couple kiddie pools) that is always available and always clean so that they can clean their own feet before bumble foot takes root. Another thing to look out for is the removal of anything that could hurt their feet in their pen. I hope this helps and good luck!

Hello!

Thank you for your swift and well-formulated answer!

So, to recap:
1) Spray the underside of their feet once (and possibly re-do in a few weeks?).
2) Away with the planks.
3) Cover the last of the pebbles with more sand.

They do have a pond, it's about the size of a kiddie pool. It's only partially filled in the picture, usually I fill it all the way up:

20171003_134535.jpg

Being semi-hydrophobic muscovy ducks, they don't use it all that often, but seem to take a short dip every evening. The pool hadn't been filled these last few days either - i reckon that could be a contributing cause of the bumblefoot?

Edit: It seems I can't ship the spray to Sweden. I found a spray here for horses (Vetericyn), but it has the same active ingredient (hypochlorous acid), only in 0,012 % rather than 0,009 %. That should work, right?

Last edited:
Okay, I've slaughtered 20 of the 22 ducklings now. The remaining 2 were saved, and will be sold soon.

ALL the 22 ducklings had bumblefoot. Here are a few images, ranging from the mildest to the worst:

20171022_101531.jpg
20171022_101012.jpg
20171022_101018.jpg
20171022_101026.jpg

The last two have been locked into the duck coop (the other ducks never use it), so they can walk on dry bedding all day long.

370_1508813196485.jpeg

Now, due to some delivery error, the spray hasn't arrived yet. I do have epsom salt though. I am giving each of the ducklings an epsom salt foot bath for 20 minutes each every day. Also, once a day I smear their feet with a bacteria-killing ointment I have at home.

This is the third day of their treatment, and I'm not sure I can see any improvements (I don't remember how it looked the first day). Should my treatment work? And how long should it take?

It really depends on a variety of factors. It shouldn't take too long, but if the sores seem to worsen or persist, it would be a good idea to extract the sores. If you do end up cutting off the sores/scabs make sure you wrap their feet with clean gauze so that bacteria isn't reintroduced. Good luck!

I'm wondering if one of the ducklings "counts as" healed?

Here are her feet today. Let's call her duckling no. 1.

20171026_104935.jpg

20171026_104836.jpg

And here are the feet of duckling no. 2, which are worse:

20171026_110058.jpg
20171026_105905.jpg

I guess I should keep treating no. 2, but can I stop treating no. 1?

Duckling Number 1 looks really good, I would maybe stop treating her but keep a close eye on her and keep her in the area with the dry bedding.

Me and the duckling thanks you - this treatment is really stressing us out!

Soaking the feet in Epsom salt and applying clear iodine will lift the infected area to the surface...Wrap the feet to keep clean...

Hmm, we don't have iodine in the house though... Maybe I'll apply some other antibacterial ointment?

Back
Top Bottom