Bumblefoot - I am at a loss

None of you did anything wrong. I am just literally going mad from my parents' stubbornness. We've had rows over how to take care of the fowl for a decade. I've pondered how to make them take adequate care of them... Yell at them? Report them to the authorities? The issue is more infected than the underside of my ducks' feet.

It's sad. A lot of people have an idea livestock are different than pets, most of us on here think of our poultry as pets with a bonus of eggs. So if an animals isn't worth much they aren't going to spend anything on them or try to help them get over an illness or injury. It's this way here in a lot of our country.

Call me naive but why are you slaughtering all of your ducklings? Because they have bumblefoot? Are you using them for meat? Or raising them, finding out they have bunblefoot and then deciding to kill them?

Call me naive but why are you slaughtering all of your ducklings? Because they have bumblefoot? Are you using them for meat? Or raising them, finding out they have bunblefoot and then deciding to kill them?

Lack of space + literally no-one wants to buy Muscovy ducks in these parts. I've put up ads in all places I can imagine.

But we eat them and sell the carcasses afterwards. Once they're dead, people start getting keen on buying them.

Why... Would it be immoral to kill them, you mean?

Lack of space + literally no-one wants to buy Muscovy ducks in these parts. I've put up ads in all places I can imagine.

But we eat them and sell the carcasses afterwards. Once they're dead, people start getting keen on buying them.

Why... Would it be immoral to kill them, you mean?

Ah I see. Well I just don’t see why you have to slaughter them. If you’re raising them for purely for meat purposes then that would make more sense - Or if they have a disease. You can pick up the eggs as they are laid (even if they are fertile) to stop you/your parents from having any more. If you’re raising them to sell then I’d make sure that I’d have buyers before letting the hens sit..you could sell the eggs instead, you may generate more interest.

I’m just throwing out suggestions here :)

Ah I see. Well I just don’t see why you have to slaughter them. If you’re raising them for purely for meat purposes then that would make more sense - Or if they have a disease. You can pick up the eggs as they are laid (even if they are fertile) to stop you/your parents from having any more. If you’re raising them to sell then I’d make sure that I’d have buyers before letting the hens sit..you could sell the eggs instead, you may generate more interest.

I’m just throwing out suggestions here :)

That's a very good question. Last year, with the 22 ducklings, we meant to let the hen sit on much fewer eggs, and we started to pick off eggs, but after a few days my dad thought it was too much of a hassle and said "meh, screw it, let her sit on all she wants". (I'm really starting to paint my parents in a good light, aren't I?)

Other than that, these are the reasons we let them get ducklings:
- My parents want a few of them to eat every year.
- We have neighbors who want to eat them too. This year, my parents want to eat perhaps 7-8, and my uncle wants that too, so we'd better let them hatch at least 15 offspring. Then we can probably add at least 10 ducklings who people will later want to buy and eat. This adds up to 25 ducklings.
- Only 70-ish percent of the eggs hatch. So we will perhaps want them to sit on a total of 35-ish eggs.
- They need a minimum amount of eggs to sit on in order for them not to leave the nest. Seems to be about 10 or so. One hen sat on 8 eggs. And if they do leave the nest, chances are they will nest somewhere else. Scovies are at least as creative as chickens when it comes to finding nest spots. And if it's one thing I want less than having my duck hatch 10 kids in the coop, it's for her to disappear mysteriously for five weeks only to emerge with 30.
- We want them to experience the joy of motherhood. Muscovy ducks have a strong maternal instinct, and we want to allow them to realize that instinct.
- It's actually hard to pick all their eggs. Unlike chickens, scovies are great at covering their eggs up whenever they leave the nest.
- It's awfully cute with all them lil' fluffballs running around.

Henrik, I can’t remember do they free range or do they have a large pen?

They have a large pen, but only use 1/3 of it. They generally free range, but are penned in when no human is home. These particular 22 ducklings were penned up for a whole week as my parents went on vacation and neighbors took care of feeding and watering.

Back
Top Bottom