Bumblefoot in a duck

duckncover

Duck Obsessed
15 Years
Jan 17, 2009
North Eastern PA
I got Quacky a few days ago and she has bumbles on her feet. I cut them open and got the scabs off but couldn't find the core. I hope I did enough to get rid of it. I put some antibiotic cream on the wounds and rapped them with gauze. I also gave her approx 100 mg (the appropriate does for poultry) of Ciprofloxacin to help heal the infection. I'm really worried that she won't get better. Any advise?

I looked and the bumbles were turning black again so I tried to drain them again. They let go a lot of dark brown/black fluid and look much better now. I still cannot find a core or any cheesy stuff. No matter how much I squeeze nothing comes out except fluid mixed with blood. I'm so worried about her. I'm destroying our relationship by working on her feet but I don't want to see her get sick. She barely walks around because of those darn bumbles! I could really some advice.

You might consider using Tricide Neo to soak her feet, no minor surgery required. Here's a link, I recommend that you read all the way through it. I think there are pics of ducks feet that had severe bumblefoot somewhere in the thread and with continued soaking, the feet were healed...chicken feet as well.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/303829/vet-suggestion-for-non-invasive-bumblefoot-cure
I might add that I've used it with minor cases of bumblefoot and the foot healed in about a weeks time without surgery.

Last edited:
I got vet wrap today and triple antibiotic. I also applied some medicine suggested on a website that is for fish with ulcers. I have contracted ringworm and I'm afraid it might be from the duck. Can anyone let me know how to tell if she also has ringworm?

Can someone give me advice! I'm begging. No vet will see her and someone on the petducksrus group told me she will die without proper treatment. I don't want to lose her!

Since you apparently dont want to order Tricide Neo nor perform minor surgery to remove bumblefoot, the staph infection will eventually kill her. To stop the staph, you'll need to purchase penicillin G procaine and give her injections. Here's a link on how to administer the injections; scroll down in post #2. Ringworm is a fungus. Supposedly Blue Star ointment/cream will treat ringworm, I've never dealt with it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/352701/how-do-i-administer-a-penicillin-shot-to-a-chicken

I did the minor surgery and could not find any puss or a head. I have been giving her Cipro every night and it is the equivalent of Baytril.. There is no money on my card until the 3rd of next month. We had to get our cat spayed and our 2 dogs their shots this month.

Back
Top Bottom