Bumblefoot in ducks who do not like to be handled

This is all so helpful! We actually have an 8x12 shed coming that we will convert into their coop and I just talked to my husband about the idea of having two areas that we can reseed! I love that so much instead of having an unnatural substrate. We are going to make some changes tonight. The first of which is basically a huge chicken tractor we can move them around in during the day, it is 10x20. We have a lot of land and I would love to just let them out but our neighbors are not great about containing their dogs unfortunately. At least we can keep moving them to fresh grass though.

This is all so helpful! We actually have an 8x12 shed coming that we will convert into their coop and I just talked to my husband about the idea of having two areas that we can reseed! I love that so much instead of having an unnatural substrate. We are going to make some changes tonight. The first of which is basically a huge chicken tractor we can move them around in during the day, it is 10x20. We have a lot of land and I would love to just let them out but our neighbors are not great about containing their dogs unfortunately. At least we can keep moving them to fresh grass though.
I totally relate, our neighbors aren't great about their dogs either. We got these netting fences that you can just push into the ground to make a good foraging area for my ducks. I still hang out with them, as I'm sure a determined dog or other predator wouldn't care. But I think it helps.

https://www.premier1supplies.com/c/fencing

Let me know how the changes in environment go! A tractor sounds ideal for a fresh area of grass!

One thing I forgot to mention is that I am pretty careful to dump water out of their aviary. If I dump it inside they dig in it and really rip up their grass quickly. Naughty sweethearts.

I totally relate, our neighbors aren't great about their dogs either. We got these netting fences that you can just push into the ground to make a good foraging area for my ducks. I still hang out with them, as I'm sure a determined dog or other predator wouldn't care. But I think it helps.

https://www.premier1supplies.com/c/fencing

Let me know how the changes in environment go! A tractor sounds ideal for a fresh area of grass!

One thing I forgot to mention is that I am pretty careful to dump water out of their aviary. If I dump it inside they dig in it and really rip up their grass quickly. Naughty sweethearts.
They are crazy about water! Haha. Just when I think I’ve fixed it so they’re not going to make a huge mess, I come out to a muddy duck! They sure are lucky we adore them.
I will definitely let you know how things go, thanks again for all of the advice. I’m glad they are patiently learning with me as we go 🙃

I soaked their feet today and put some antibiotic on it. Skid (the drake) is very angry with me. Jaba (the duck) got over it quicker. They are in the garage now, on some soft clean bedding. I think we are going to put them to bed there until their feet clear up. So they’ll be on grass all day and in there at night.

We have been treating two ducks for bumblefoot for 4 days now. The scabs are not lifting or anything, definitely not a scab that is ready or able to be lifted.
can anyone confirm that both cases are indeed bumblefoot? And do we just keep treating, and eventually they will come off? The drake had a limp 4 days ago but he is seemingly back to himself now. We have been keeping all of them off any hard surfaces and changed out the gravel in the run for sand. They haven’t been in the run though, we are keeping them inside on soft bedding at night and in a tractor on grass during the day.
the drake is the photo of one foot, both feet is the duck.
Thank you, as always!!

Attachments

• CD39DF01-0286-4218-9C93-FC4AFAAE01A4.jpeg
    CD39DF01-0286-4218-9C93-FC4AFAAE01A4.jpeg
    381.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 0AC6EDE3-C510-44C8-85C0-7A720AE85F89.jpeg
    0AC6EDE3-C510-44C8-85C0-7A720AE85F89.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 7
We have been treating two ducks for bumblefoot for 4 days now. The scabs are not lifting or anything, definitely not a scab that is ready or able to be lifted.
can anyone confirm that both cases are indeed bumblefoot? And do we just keep treating, and eventually they will come off? The drake had a limp 4 days ago but he is seemingly back to himself now. We have been keeping all of them off any hard surfaces and changed out the gravel in the run for sand. They haven’t been in the run though, we are keeping them inside on soft bedding at night and in a tractor on grass during the day.
the drake is the photo of one foot, both feet is the duck.
Thank you, as always!!
The first photo looks like bumblefoot, to me. The second one is harder to tell, but in the right spot. My ducks' bumblefoot was more minor - I caught it really early, and it always took several weeks to resolve.

The first photo looks like bumblefoot, to me. The second one is harder to tell, but in the right spot. My ducks' bumblefoot was more minor - I caught it really early, and it always took several weeks to resolve.
I had assumed that’s what they both were. Thank you. Did you keep yours out of their regular run while treating? I’d hate to keep them inside if it’s not needed. They would rather be out and everyone else outside seems a bit thrown by their absence

For my duck, I never got the bumbles out. I treated my duck with baytril (enrofloxacin) for five days. I could have cut it open, but I was worried about making things worse. You will still need to keep an eye on it, but the baytril will kill everything in there. The dosage is 0.05ml per lb of duck.

You can get baytril without a prescription, and the enrofloxacin generic form is cheaper.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/enrofloxacin-10?variant=15642988904566

I choose mainly to treat with the antibiotics because nothing else was worked well for me. I still do the soaking, to help with the inflammation and help heal. I just don't worry if the scab comes off. It can still come back and be a problem either way.

I had assumed that’s what they both were. Thank you. Did you keep yours out of their regular run while treating? I’d hate to keep them inside if it’s not needed. They would rather be out and everyone else outside seems a bit thrown by their absence
I did keep them outside, yes. I took mine to 2 different vets and neither advised me to keep them in.

For my duck, I never got the bumbles out. I treated my duck with baytril (enrofloxacin) for five days. I could have cut it open, but I was worried about making things worse. You will still need to keep an eye on it, but the baytril will kill everything in there. The dosage is 0.05ml per lb of duck.

You can get baytril without a prescription, and the enrofloxacin generic form is cheaper.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/enrofloxacin-10?variant=15642988904566

I choose mainly to treat with the antibiotics because nothing else was worked well for me. I still do the soaking, to help with the inflammation and help heal. I just don't worry if the scab comes off. It can still come back and be a problem either way.
Oh great! They really are seeming so much better and I feel like getting the scabs off would be so invasive. They’re not lifted at all, they’re at skin level. I’ll continue to keep an eye on it and continue treatment. I have been giving them baytril for two days now and will continue

Back
Top Bottom