When I was treating my Runner, I brought them ALL in for a swim in the bathtub right before I changed her bandages. That way I knew the water was clean and she got some time in the water.

They will recover. I've read that if you wash them with soap and dry them off before taking them back out, it will encourage preening. It's like a "do over," but you can't let them swim for a few days immediately following their baths.
thanks so much!!!!!1

Hey yall, so my girl still has pretty bad bumblefoot....the vet told me to rinse with chlorhexidine solution, and then apply a cream with chlorhexidine in it. I have been doing so once a day as much as possible. I had covid in November for 2 weeks then thanksgiving hit, then I had a week straight of caring for the stock by myself while my sister had mono and then I got sick again. I'm still pretty exhausted and I have a very bad hand injury, but I'm doing all I can for Munchkin. I missed probably around a week or 2 weeks of treatment on her foot but i couldn't help it. I went out when I was still sick to wrap her but it was quick. I soak/rinse her foot in the solution for 2-5 mins since that's what the bottle says, and then I wrap it with the cream. I wrap it like in the photo, but I use medical tape now NOT duct tape. I do that all once a day. I don't have a picture right now, but her foot is still not looking great. The vet came out for my horses a few weeks back and just peeked at it and said it did look slightly smaller. The skin is also re growing over the area we cut open, and there is only a small scab there. I also have to let her free range since my run is a mud pit no matter how much stuff I dump in there...we are just in a low water table area. She does swim some of the day but not as much as the others. She seems to be sore and get a bit chilled unlike the others. She is definitely much slower than the rest of the flock but her mate is faithful and stays with her if she is left behind. Should I still be soaking in epsom salt and then rinsing with the chlorhexidine? Should I pull the plug/scab off? Do you wat pics? Also she gets every wrap off that I put on her. Free range or not it comes off. I really want to get duck boots but as I said I have a severe hand injury and so I cant work and am trying to save as much as possible. But I will get boots for her if yall think I need it. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1640109897638.png
    1640109897638.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 1640110317682.png
    1640110317682.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 1640110912610.png
    1640110912610.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 3
If you can get a good picture of this bumble it will help a lot. If there is still infection in there I am not sure if just treating the outside is going to do anything. I've always opened and gotten the infection out then used antibiotic ointment and wrapped it. But I don't want to go against what your vet is telling you.
I'm sorry you've been sick and now injured that really does make it difficult.
If you can get someone to help so you can get some good pictures maybe we can help you decide where to go from here.

Thank you! I thought the same thing with opening it up. Will do. Another thing I wanted to ask, the bottle says to dilute the chlorhexidine 2 tablespoons to a gallon of water, and I have been, but as bad as her foot is....could I just apply it straight? I just dont want to hurt her. Not sure if anyone knows, I just am curious.

Man, pickles, you've been through it these past few months. Pictures would help.

Is she still on antibiotics? You've done do much that I can't remember/keep track of it all
No, she is not. She did not seem to be improving after two weeks on amoxicillin and then two weeks on baytril. The vet said she would most likely respond better to a topical since the orals didn't work. I will try to get a picture as soon as possible. I currently have extreme overuse in both arms and can not do much other than do basic self care. I'm actually having a family member type this while I dictate. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom