Bumblefoot issues

violetgriffith

In the Brooder
Oct 3, 2020
Hello,
I noticed some swelling in the right foot of one of our hens and quickly identified it as bumble foot (we have had a lot of rain recently and its pretty muddy). We treated it yesterday afternoon in our garage with a 25 minute epsom salt foot bath, then using tweezers to pull the scab/plug out. Then we put Neosporin on some gauze and used vet tape to bandage it up. She was back in the run after 2 hours. When I pulled the scab out, it didn't look too deep, and I was wondering if I actually got the whole thing..? I read that you can use Prid (a product for splinters) to help remove a bumble. I think that's our plan B.
That night she slept in the nesting box, and I think it was maybe because she was being bullied, or she was unable to jump up to the roosting pole.
This morning when I went to let them out, we changed her bandage and put on a new one. The injury honestly looked the same as it had when we had just removed the scab; still swollen, though less red, and I put on the new bandage. She pecked around for a while, ate, drank, and then I left the house for a few hours. When I got back I learned that she has been in the nesting box most of the day, puffs up when approached, and grumbles at other hens coming near. Her comb is bright red, her eyes are bright and she is responsive so I think that she's just being broody?? When I lifted her up slightly she didn't extend her legs, so I don't think she wanted to be moved. I gently poked her bandaged foot to see if it hurt but she didn't flinch.
I guess what I'm wondering is- Is she broody or in pain/sick? Did I get the bumble out or should I do another bath and some prid?
Here are some pictures of her foot and the surgery/procedure thing, sorry about the length here.
Thanks!!:)
IMG_4780.jpeg IMG_4781.jpeg IMG_4796.jpeg
still

Attachments

• IMG_4773.jpeg
    IMG_4773.jpeg
    338.5 KB · Views: 6
Sort of.. when I took her out of the nesting box to change her bandage this morning, I picked her up and placed her on the coop floor but she kinda remained sitting there. Maybe it was because she had been sitting for 12 hours but I don’t know 🤷🏼‍♀️

Sort of.. when I took her out of the nesting box to change her bandage this morning, I picked her up and placed her on the coop floor but she kinda remained sitting there. Maybe it was because she had been sitting for 12 hours but I don’t know 🤷🏼‍♀️
That's what my broody did when we took her out of the nesting box and put her on the ground.

Update?

Back
Top Bottom