Bumblefoot - leaving some pus behind?

FeatherCrest

Chirping
Oct 31, 2019
Netherlands
My 3yo hen had a bad case of bumblefoot, with lumps on her toes. After 4 days of soaking and brushing the scab, I was able to remove the plug and a lot of pus from the lumps. However, not everything. I can see there is still a little bit left, but I am unable to reach it with the tweezers. The feet are already starting to heal nicely, but that would mean that some pus is left. How bad would that be?

My 3yo hen had a bad case of bumblefoot, with lumps on her toes. After 4 days of soaking and brushing the scab, I was able to remove the plug and a lot of pus from the lumps. However, not everything. I can see there is still a little bit left, but I am unable to reach it with the tweezers. The feet are already starting to heal nicely, but that would mean that some pus is left. How bad would that be?
Wow, that's awesome!

Do you have any PRID? That's a drawing salve and should help pull it out.

I just got back from the vet with exactly that situation.
The vet told me to keep soaking and massaging the feet but to stop digging into healed flesh. She thought the chicken would cope with the remaining infection herself and the soaking would keep the skin soft and the massaging would keep stuff loose.
No idea if it will work but that is what the vet told me.

I just got back from the vet with exactly that situation.
The vet told me to keep soaking and massaging the feet but to stop digging into healed flesh. She thought the chicken would cope with the remaining infection herself and the soaking would keep the skin soft and the massaging would keep stuff loose.
No idea if it will work but that is what the vet told me.
Oh that is great news (especially for my chicken who is not happy with me digging around haha). Are you using antibiotics?

Update: since Rebecca was not eating well, we decided to go to the vet anyway. Her feet looked good, maybe a little red. The vet said that the lumps on her feet were indeed not a big issue, but we got antibiotics and metacam to make sure that the infection would really be treated, and that she would start eating chicken food again (not just boiled egg, cucumber and a sausage meant for our dog :idunno)
@RoyalChick hopefully your chicken can fight it off by herself!

Update: since Rebecca was not eating well, we decided to go to the vet anyway. Her feet looked good, maybe a little red. The vet said that the lumps on her feet were indeed not a big issue, but we got antibiotics and metacam to make sure that the infection would really be treated, and that she would start eating chicken food again (not just boiled egg, cucumber and a sausage meant for our dog :idunno)
@RoyalChick hopefully your chicken can fight it off by herself!
Great news.
I am soldiering on with my girl. I think we are doing OK but I do worry about remaining infection under the skin.

Back
Top Bottom