1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bumblefoot? Need advice!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lauranickerson, Sep 30, 2015.

1. lauranickerson

lauranickerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    Kingsley, MI
    Hi there,

So I've got a bird that has a pretty bad case of bumblefoot. I've done a couple surgeries on other chickens and I just never feel like I get all of the infection out. There's always some white fibery stuff once I pull the scab off, and I can't tell if it's supposed to be there or if it's part of the infection, so I stop. They typically bleed a lot for me, too.

Well, this is the worst I've ever had. I don't have a picture right now, but my main question is: Can I use shots of Penicillin to treat Bumblefoot. Someone on a Facebook group said I could, but I'm not sure if it's a shot to the meaty part of the breast or what and I'm not sure on the dosage.

I have lots of short-acting Penicillin in the fridge from TSC that I have no uses for, so if I can use it for bumblefoot, that would be great!

Thank you in advance.

PS: I'll try to get a picture tonight when I put them in for the night.

2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Yes, you can use penicillin. Gail Damerow's The chicken health handbook says: 1/2 cc penicillin or streptomycin in the swollen area of the foot.
    The white fibery stuff is part of the infection. White stuff in the foot is infection; pink stuff in the foot is living, noninfected tissue.
    Also, if you have already cut on the foot, it is VERY important to keep the wound clean to avoid a secondary infection. Change the bandage every other day, or if you live in a warmer climate, every day. Spray some Vetericyn wound and infection care when you change the dressing. This will help kill any antibiotic-resistant bacteria, and will also help encourage new tissue growth and healing of the wound. Hope your bird is better soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by