Bumblefoot, New Ideas on Treatment with pictures

Decided to go ahead and clean her neck tonight. Here's a handful of pics of where it is, closeups, and an example of what's coming out. She's covered in Blu-Kote, so ignore the purple feathers.
wink.png

Hubby checked at our pharmacy Saturday, but they don't carry it. I'll have him try somewhere else on his way home Monday evening.

/\ Before I took off the scabby clumps of crud.

/\ One spot after cleaning.

Samples of the crud that came out. Looks identical to the kind of stuff that comes out with bumblefoot.

/\ After cleaning off the crud.

/\ Where it is on her.

Might I ask the importance of the pics? Is there something else you think it might be, instead?

Last edited:
Hubby just got home with the decolorized iodine! I'm about to put some on her for the first time in a few minutes. Wish her and I luck - she's too pretty a girl to lose to an evil staph infection. Not that any critter would deserve it, but she's a beauty (well, perhaps I am a bit prejudiced, LOL!), a gypsy-faced Splash Banty Cochin with perfect feathering!

How often do you suggest putting the iodine on the scabs/sores? Hubby found some at a CVS today on his way home, and I coated each spot on her neck nearly as soon as he brought it in the door. I'm so thankful that, so far, it appears to just be in the top layers of the skin.
I'd do the iodine every other day . Looks like a rooster may have got hold of her? They can be pretty rough. When my hen had bumble foot I treated her foot every other day. I wouldn't use the blue kote along with the iodine though.

How often do you suggest putting the iodine on the scabs/sores? Hubby found some at a CVS today on his way home, and I coated each spot on her neck nearly as soon as he brought it in the door. I'm so thankful that, so far, it appears to just be in the top layers of the skin.
I would use the iodine only if infection appears to be present.....
.....otherwise, or in addition too, an antibiotic ointment (without pain relief ingredients) everyday to keep area moist will help it heal faster.

If I don't use the blu-kote, I'll have to pull her out of the grow-out pen and keep her away from her hatchmates. I will see if I can figure out something. LOL, my bathroom is already an infirmary for an older Marans pullet (just recently started laying) that apparently got a hip injury from a rooster. She's getting much better, but she's still not strong enough to boot out. Perhaps the two would get along, but I'd have to watch to see if she pecks at the sores on this younger pullet's neck. My bathroom won't be the same for awhile as it is, and my floor... on, my floor! It's been scrubbed every day for days. I've discovered the floor covering isn't as durable as it was supposed to be... then again, I doubt the durability study included what I'm putting it through.
ep.gif
The Marans girl isn't happy with just staying in the "designated" infirmary area.
wink.png

This was caused by my apparently not moving the group to the larger grow-out pen soon enough, and they got crowded & grumpy. It was just her hatchmates deciding to pick on her. I'm guessing one or another's beak broke the skin after pecking at something that had the germs on it (I've heard Staph is everywhere, and almost impossible to get rid of).

I'd like to announce that my Splash banty Cochin pullet seems to be completely cleared up of the infection on her neck. We used the iodine about every 3 days, on average. Cleaned any scabs or pockets of gunk out, then soaked the whole area well with the clear iodine. It was a long process, but much more painless than it would have been had I treated it like I would normally treated bumblefoot!
There's a decent pic of one area all cleared up except for what I believe is scar tissue, and a blurry pic of the other - worst - area that is now all cleared up, too. And two pics just because she's so pretty, LOL, and I have to show her off!

The blurrier one; she quite naturally now hates me messing with her neck:

I believe all that's left is scar tissue, though I will continue to monitor her, of course.

Are you finally done picking on me?
fl.gif

Thank you, Mom, for making me feel better.
D.gif

She's such a beauty, and I'm so glad she's going to be okay, now! LOL, she still has the purple feathers from way back in the beginning, too - kinda sets off her pretty splash colors, too!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom