Bumblefoot, New Ideas on Treatment with pictures

Not long. She’s not 2 yet. I didn’t notice it was bad until I sent my friend that same pic and she commented on it. It wasn’t bad around last treatment in February.

View attachment 1806157 Does anyone know if the colorless iodine will work on bumblefoot that is between the toes and does not have a scab/head on it? I’ve gotten those off the bottom of the feet before but this clear looking bubble between her toes is new to me. I’m afraid to cut into her and I’m not sure the iodine will shrink it without the scab. I’ll post a pic.

Yeah I have treated them so many times. I’m going to do it every five days for a while and see if it kills the mites.
@klbaker75 can you get a clearer photo of the swelling between the toes and the bottom of her foot too?

@klbaker75 can you get a clearer photo of the swelling between the toes and the bottom of her foot too?
Yes I will tonight when I take off her bandage. I cleaned her foot with vetericin and applied the noncolored iodine and then bandaged since she has a tiny cut on the bottom of her foot which is likely how that got started. It’s rained almost daily for two weeks in Kentucky keeping her foot pad soft. She’s also my only girl I’ve ever had to moult the entire summer. She started in July last year and late May this year. It’s dragging her immune system down some and I think that is probably a huge factor as well. I have beefed up her protein with some egg white powder three times a day just a small amount.

C5CA3B1A-DC29-48C2-AC10-DAB151385630.jpeg
38854784-3ACA-43FA-8C0E-BFFD98076A43.jpeg
Here are some more pics though I’m not sure they are very clear. The bubble looks a little bigger. You can see the healing cut on bottom of her pad. When looking at the pic of the bottom of her foot, the bubble is located between the left two toes seen. There is no swelling on the underside of the bubble.

Yes I will tonight when I take off her bandage. I cleaned her foot with vetericin and applied the noncolored iodine and then bandaged since she has a tiny cut on the bottom of her foot which is likely how that got started. It’s rained almost daily for two weeks in Kentucky keeping her foot pad soft. She’s also my only girl I’ve ever had to moult the entire summer. She started in July last year and late May this year. It’s dragging her immune system down some and I think that is probably a huge factor as well. I have beefed up her protein with some egg white powder three times a day just a small amount.

View attachment 1807867 View attachment 1807866 Here are some more pics though I’m not sure they are very clear. The bubble looks a little bigger. You can see the healing cut on bottom of her pad. When looking at the pic of the bottom of her foot, the bubble is located between the left two toes seen. There is no swelling on the underside of the bubble.
Do you have photos of her too? Does she molt for the whole summer and then lay through winter?
What do you feed her?

The cut on the bottom of the foot looks like it's healing. In the crease, is there something there too?
You can try the Clear Iodine to see if it helps. If it doesn't, then using Tricide Neo may be a better choice. https://ouroneacrefarm.com/2013/11/09/bumblefoot-treatment-tricideneo/
upload_2019-6-10_10-2-31.png

Do you have photos of her too? Does she molt for the whole summer and then lay through winter?
What do you feed her?

The cut on the bottom of the foot looks like it's healing. In the crease, is there something there too?
You can try the Clear Iodine to see if it helps. If it doesn't, then using Tricide Neo may be a better choice. https://ouroneacrefarm.com/2013/11/09/bumblefoot-treatment-tricideneo/
View attachment 1807873

She usually starts laying in late February early March and then goes broody in late April or early May which takes a few weeks to recover from. This year she didn’t resume laying bc she started the moult. She does not lay through the winter. She may lay about 75 max a year which is great bc I have lost a few to cancer and other reproductive ailments. I don’t keep them for eggs so this is fine with me. They are purely pets. She is a salmon faverolle. I will attach a pic. They are on nature’s own layer crumbles. I just switched them a week ago from the starter version of nature’s own finishing up the bag I had. Those laying get supplemental calcium. Though with her moulting I may need to go back to the starter with more protein. Only two of my four are laying. I am supplementing her with egg white powder.

I guess my main concern is that it appears people with good luck using the decolorized iodine have scabs with a plug. She had that last year and I had good luck soaking with Epsom salts and then removing the plug without surgery. This is just a bubble and no open wound or hole or scab. I am hoping to shrink it up. But if there is a cyst or plug inside it will need to be removed by incision right? Otherwise it will keep coming back? I’ll check out that link. I’m hoping to “dry up” the bubble without intervention. She is very lovable and gives chicken hugs/likes to be held, but does get freaked out easily with handling for medical procedures. She knows the difference and she voices that. I have no issues with going to a vet but once again she would not handle the drive or exam well.

466DFD10-9EA5-42F8-8CB8-CDD905E489CF.jpeg

Last edited:
She usually starts laying in late February early March and then goes broody in late April or early May which takes a few weeks to recover from. This year she didn’t resume laying bc she started the moult. She does not lay through the winter. She may lay about 75 max a year which is great bc I have lost a few to cancer and other reproductive ailments. I don’t keep them for eggs so this is fine with me. They are purely pets. She is a salmon faverolle. I will attach a pic. They are on nature’s own layer crumbles. I just switched them a week ago from the starter version of nature’s own finishing up the bag I had. Those laying get supplemental calcium. Though with her moulting I may need to go back to the starter with more protein. Only two of my four are laying. I am supplementing her with egg white powder.

I guess my main concern is that it appears people with good luck using the decolorized iodine have scabs with a plug. She had that last year and I had good luck soaking with Epsom salts and then removing the plug without surgery. This is just a bubble and no open wound or hole or scab. I am hoping to shrink it up. But if there is a cyst or plug inside it will need to be removed by incision right? Otherwise it will keep coming back? I’ll check out that link. I’m hoping to “dry up” the bubble without intervention. She is very lovable and gives chicken hugs/likes to be held, but does get freaked out easily with handling for medical procedures. She knows the difference and she voices that. I have no issues with going to a vet but once again she would not handle the drive or exam well.

View attachment 1807885
Well isn't she just a cutie!
So she's going broody on you. Most hens will molt or partially molt after being broody and they normally don't lay while molting, so that is what's taking so long it would seem. I do agree with you though, she may live longer with not laying so many eggs a year. It really stinks to lose them to reproductive problems. I think most of us have gone through that and it's heartbreaking.

If the bubble doesn't shrink with the soaking and Clear Iodine, the I would try the Tricide Neo. A lot of people have had good results with that. It does require a daily soak for a few minutes, but the solution can be re-used (I think it's outlined in the article).

Chick starter won't hurt her, the egg white powder is a good idea though. With my molters that have a hard time I give them a direct dose of Poultry Cell at 1 cc per 3 pounds of weight a couple of times a week. They also get a nice treat of scrambled or hard boiled eggs a few times a week too.

Well isn't she just a cutie!
So she's going broody on you. Most hens will molt or partially molt after being broody and they normally don't lay while molting, so that is what's taking so long it would seem. I do agree with you though, she may live longer with not laying so many eggs a year. It really stinks to lose them to reproductive problems. I think most of us have gone through that and it's heartbreaking.

If the bubble doesn't shrink with the soaking and Clear Iodine, the I would try the Tricide Neo. A lot of people have had good results with that. It does require a daily soak for a few minutes, but the solution can be re-used (I think it's outlined in the article).

Chick starter won't hurt her, the egg white powder is a good idea though. With my molters that have a hard time I give them a direct dose of Poultry Cell at 1 cc per 3 pounds of weight a couple of times a week. They also get a nice treat of scrambled or hard boiled eggs a few times a week too.
I do have poultry cell here and will check out the other item mentioned. Thank you so much! I may be back for more help.
I forgot to tell you the black stuff you put an arrow on in the pic is just some thin dirt wedged in there. It wasn’t packed or anything.

Last edited:
I forgot to tell you the black stuff you put an arrow on in the pic is just some thin dirt wedged in there. It wasn’t packed or anything.
Might want to clean it out and take a close look, those packed folds could get infected and/or cause the swelling you are seeing on the other side of it.
There was another thread on this previously.

Back
Top Bottom