Bumblefoot. New to chickens please help!

Tawandafae

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2021
Hi everyone. I found the group through my googling on chicken care.

My husband and I recently bought a farm and it came with around 30 chickens. We've never had chickens before so we are learning on the fly.

The coop was in pretty bad shape when we bought the place. I have since cleaned it out and replaced the pine shavings. However I noticed about a week ago that one of our hens had very swollen feet. Her bumblefoot infection was pretty advanced so I had to go the surgery route. (I will post pics if I can figure out how). Anyway I have been changing her bandages daily and she seems to be doing well. My problem is that I have been checking their feet and my best guess would be that over half of them have bumblefoot. They are eating/drinking and walking fine with minimal swelling but they have the tell tale scabs on the bottoms of their feet.

So my questions are.

Is there anything else it could be?

Is there anyway I can treat the whole flock without having to treat them one at a time? ( there is no way I can make enough time to bandage all of their feet everyday.)

Lastly and I hope this doesn't sound mean but can we still eat them?

First two pics are of the first chicken I noticed had it. As you can see she had considerable swelling. Last one is what most of the chickens feet look like.

Tia

Attachments

• 20210903_140313.jpg
    20210903_140313.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210903_140323.jpg
    20210903_140323.jpg
    914.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210908_164447.jpg
    20210908_164447.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 13
Hi everyone. I found the group through my googling on chicken care.

My husband and I recently bought a farm and it came with around 30 chickens. We've never had chickens before so we are learning on the fly.

The coop was in pretty bad shape when we bought the place. I have since cleaned it out and replaced the pine shavings. However I noticed about a week ago that one of our hens had very swollen feet. Her bumblefoot infection was pretty advanced so I had to go the surgery route. (I will post pics if I can figure out how). Anyway I have been changing her bandages daily and she seems to be doing well. My problem is that I have been checking their feet and my best guess would be that over half of them have bumblefoot. They are eating/drinking and walking fine with minimal swelling but they have the tell tale scabs on the bottoms of their feet.

So my questions are.

Is there anything else it could be?

Is there anyway I can treat the whole flock without having to treat them one at a time? ( there is no way I can make enough time to bandage all of their feet everyday.)

Lastly and I hope this doesn't sound mean but can we still eat them?

First two pics are of the first chicken I noticed had it. As you can see she had considerable swelling. Last one is what most of the chickens feet look like.

Tia
Welcome to BYC! :frow It may be rubble such as stones or sharp sticks and (sharp) mulch in their run. Treat the worse ones first, working your way down. I had a chicken who had a very mild case of bumble foot. She is the top of the pecking order and she healed on her own while I was treating the others. Of course I checked her to make sure it wasn't getting more advanced. She's very tough. Keep it up, you're doing well.

Welcome to BYC! :frow It may be rubble such as stones or sharp sticks and (sharp) mulch in their run. Treat the worse ones first, working your way down. I had a chicken who had a very mild case of bumble foot. She is the top of the pecking order and she healed on her own while I was treating the others. Of course I checked her to make sure it wasn't getting more advanced. She's very tough. Keep it up, you're doing well.
Thank you for your response. Do you know if there are any antibiotics I could give the ones with bumblefoot to clear it up? Also if I don't treat with antibiotics is the meat (sans feet) safe to eat?

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. Do you know if there are any antibiotics I could give the ones with bumblefoot to clear it up? Also if I don't treat with antibiotics is the meat (sans feet) safe to eat?
You can treat with oral antibitocs, but you'd have to get a prescription from a vet and to give you a correct dossage. I am not sure if the meat is safe to eat so somone else would have to help you with that. Antibiotics will help clear up the systematic infection, but not necessarily the actual foot.

Back
Top Bottom