Bumblefoot on more chickens??? CONFUSED!

So my question is, and it may seem like a "duhhh" question to those of you with experience, but how do you know whether it's a scab or just a callous??? Will a scab be hard and crusty while a callous is more fleshy feeling??? I'm asking because I've seen dark spots that look like scabs on the bottom of two of my girls' feet. There is no swelling, and no discomfort is evident when they are walking about. I ordered some amoxicillin and some doxycyclene because one article I read recommended either/or. However, I'm worried that I'm being a hypochondriac with my girls. I hate medicating unnecessarily. So will a scab actually FEEL hard and scabby??? Not tough/rubbery like a callous???

No Problemo
big_smile.png
Glad to help

I can't really prevent it but being you have them in a contained run and don't free range I would go thru the ground in there and see if you could find anything that may be the cause. Could be pieces of glass? sharp rocks, twgis sticking out if the ground, pine needles, ect.

I have never heard of the fish stuff. You will have to keep me posted on that as welll as your dear hens progress
big_smile.png
I have just learned to do weekly foot inspections and all suspects get treated one at a time here too. If caught early it isn't so bad and only may take a few days to heal, some take longer. Your hen will be just fine after all this
big_smile.png
I would try soaking her again and go in with the knife at the top of the foot, just make a small incision and see if there is anything coming out from there. Sometimes it has gone thru the whole foot but people just go in from the bottom thinking they can get it all that way (I was one of those people). I ended up having to do it over from the top. Best of luck to you and your hen
hugs.gif

how does a chicken get Bumblefoot ?
from a cut or what my roaster is limbing on his foot . i have him in a cage which is a plastic tub with pine shaving and i change the bedding daily. his foot is not swollen or i see a sore on it. he lay down most of the time. he was with two other hen until i move him he is about 8 weeks old now. could it be bumblefoot?

I have to admit, of all of the years that I've had chickens I've never heard of pine needles cutting their feet. I've used them in coops, nest boxes and runs at times and never had any foot problems from any of my birds. Are there certain varieties of needles that does this? Please enlighten me. I prefer them to hay or straw due to mold and pests.

Quote:
I've heard that the real short pine needles are the culprit. I've used the long kind that look like straw before and loved them. Then my brother cut down the two pine trees that supplied them.
smack.gif

Quote:
I have had them go thru my foot on several occasions. I am not sure what kind of pines we have but there are hundreds of them around here. I tell ya if they can go thru my tough feet they could certainly puncture a chickens foot IMO.

Back
Top Bottom