bumblefoot or not

I have serveral hens with the same problem. The foot problem never changes, and if it should do so I would jump in with treatment. I did try soaking their feet, but I think there are 8 hens and it was just a wild time! So I am leaving alone for now. Also I now found a vet that treats the condition so I am less worried.

I have serveral hens with the same problem. The foot problem never changes, and if it should do so I would jump in with treatment. I did try soaking their feet, but I think there are 8 hens and it was just a wild time! So I am leaving alone for now. Also I now found a vet that treats the condition so I am less worried.

If you haven't already, it would be a good idea to figure out why so many of your birds are getting bumblefoot, and correct the situation. They must be cutting their feet on something.

Bumble foot is normaly in the cushion in middle of the foot . Not on the toes . Looks like he has been scratching on wire or burnt the bottom of his toes on coal . Look at the ends of his toes they are roigh as well . Roosting on a wide flat board can cause rough feet .

I have heard that though it is uncommon, it may occur on the toes. I am no expert though and recognizing true bumblefoot is still hard for me. Any little spot on their feet and I worry it may be that.

Bumble foot is normaly in the cushion in middle of the foot . Not on the toes . Looks like he has been scratching on wire or burnt the bottom of his toes on coal . Look at the ends of his toes they are roigh as well . Roosting on a wide flat board can cause rough feet .

Well, the rough spots are not what got my attention. It was that dark spot on a swelling on one of the toes. Also if you look closely, it looks to me like there is a small dark spot on the foot pad, too.

I guess you are right that bumblefoot is technically an infection/abscess of the foot pad, and while I think he has a little abscess on the toe, I suppose strictly speaking it would not be "bumblefoot" if only a toe is involved. Still, though, an abscess is an abscess, and they usually do not resolve spontaneously. Most get worse until treated. If it were my bird I would soak. That's my best judgement from the photo, but a look at a photo is certainly not as a first hand exam. Neophyte, I hope I am not misleading you. I'm just saying what I would do if it were my bird.

I treat rescue birds ect.. by stretching around the spot opening and separating the plug looking thing (trying to not be technical and descriptive), then usually just dig/pull/pop out with my nail, small pocket knife, or tweezers. then i use cheap triple antibiotic ointment. that usually cures first time, if not repeat all steps unless no "plug", and i don't bother wrapping, but have used dap of vet glue, or super glue now no longer having access to vet glue (its invaluable if you can get it and well worth cost!).

I do appreciate everyone's input. I tried the neo tricide soaking and thought it helped but the spot again looks dark and its swollen. I hate to do it but I am going to try to cut it out this weekend. since it's on the toe and not the pad of the foot, do I need to wrap it? should I soak it in a watered down iodine solution or peroxide solution after I'm done?

I have bad news. Pat who had the bumblefoot died. We did cut it out. However, she was acting quite depressed sometime after and wouldnt move around alot. No other symtoms so does anyone think this may be what have caused her death? This is the only thing we can think of. please help....

I don't have a lot of experience with this, I have heard that if you let bumblefoot go on too long, the bacteria can spread into their bloodstream and eventually kill them. does anyone with more knowledge have any input on this?

Back
Top Bottom