Bumblefoot progress?

Jrobb78

Chirping
Nov 8, 2020
Saturday night I performed bumblefoot “surgery” on one of my hens. She had a very large plug, which came out completely, but not much “cheesy” infection behind it. I packed it with Neosporin after rinsing it well, put a piece of cotton ball (not the best choice in retrospect as it stuck to the wound) over it and wrapped it. Today I checked it, cleaned it well, applied more Neosporin and re-wrapped it with a gauze pad this time. My question is does this look like it is healing well? Or should I remove the scab and check for more infection? I had to pull the stuck cotton ball off of it, so I think that might have irritated it. It is definitely less swollen than before, but still more swollen than the healthy foot. The first photo is before cleaning, the second is after. All opinions are welcome!

Attachments

• 7019D5E6-A36D-4B0D-9A66-FDE68AEA78DC.jpeg
    7019D5E6-A36D-4B0D-9A66-FDE68AEA78DC.jpeg
    427.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 9DDB86E8-F9C2-4A68-ACE0-C6D748A723F5.jpeg
    9DDB86E8-F9C2-4A68-ACE0-C6D748A723F5.jpeg
    396.9 KB · Views: 29
It looks better! What I do is soak in Epsom salt, put Veterycin, Vaseline and then wrap it. Why did you perform surgery? It wasn’t even that bad? Just curious! 😁
It was pretty bad. The kernel was very large and she was limping as if in pain. Everything I read says that it will only get worse and will possibly kill her, so I thought it was better to be proactive. I didn’t cut her tissue, I was able to just separate the scab from her foot and pull it out with the gunk attached.

It looks better! What I do is soak in Epsom salt, put Veterycin, Vaseline and then wrap it. Why did you perform surgery? It wasn’t even that bad? Just curious! 😁
Surgery isn’t always necessarily putting something to sleep. Surgery can be removing something, fixing a wound, or abstracting the tissue in some way. They needed to preform a surgery of some sort so that it doesn’t get worse.

I’m not a bumble foot expert so I can’t really say if it looks good or not. But, I think what you did is great.

It's looking better, but still appears inflamed or infected. I'd probably give her another good soak and pop the scab off again, giving the wound a good squeeze to push out any pus buildup. Re-medicate, wrap, and check it again in a couple days.
Thank you! I plan to check it again tomorrow after getting input on here. I thought about doing that tonight, but this is my first ever bumblefoot experience so I was unsure. I appreciate the input!

Back
Top Bottom