bumblefoot questions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sumpenny, Aug 5, 2009.

1. sumpenny

sumpenny In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    This morning I noticed my rooster was limping. The top of his foot is swollen and there is what looks to be a black scab on top of his foot. Is this bumblefoot? When I tried to look bumblefoot up there were only mentions of scabs on the bottom of the feet. Please help!

2. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I would guess that it is bumblefoot. The scab usually forms where the thorn, etc went in, so it's usually on the bottom of the foot. Maybe somehow your rooster injured the top of his foot and then got it infected.

3. froggie71

froggie71 Songster

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Would be helpful if you could get a pic, but it does sound like it could be bumblefoot.

4. cw

cw Songster

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    if it is bumble foot it is a form of staph and you will want to be careful on how you handle it

5. sumpenny

sumpenny In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    Thank you for all of your input. I soaked his foot and then removed the scab. There wasn't really anything solid that I could remove. Or maybe I couldn't see it. He was bleeding a little bit. There was a little clearish yellow fluid that came out, but not much. I put some antibiotic ointment and bandaged it up. I also separated him for the night. Do you think that perhaps I caught it early so thats why I didn't find any sort of plug or do you think maybe I'm being a "chicken" and need to be a little more aggressive in the cleaning? [​IMG] Also, when do you think it would be safe for him to be back with the girls? They love hangin out in my garden every morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: