Bumblefoot Severity? (Pictures)

katelk

Songster
6 Years
May 6, 2013
White Bluff, TN
I have several cases of bumblefoot right now, but this seems to be the worst because it is more swollen than the others (although still not red and is just appearing in the main foot pad).
The following pictures were taken tonight, which is day 4 of using Vetericyn VF in a wrap that I change each evening.
The first day I took off the black scab and squeezed out some stringy pus, but I don't think I got it all completely. I read that the Vetericyn will kill the infection so I have been counting on that, not wanting to cut into her foot.

The first pic is of what her foot looked like tonight when I took the bandage off to change it.
The second pic is after I cut that scab off to see if there was more pus- there was no pus, only bright red blood. Tell me if the VF wrap is working or if I need to do more. Also, how serious does this look? This is my first experience and I am really worried! Thank you!

It looks like it is healing.

Why do you have several cases of Bumble foot at the same time? Maybe you can correct something that makes it hard to heal. Are the roosts too high or is the bedding too thin? Just some thoughts.......

Good luck!

It looks like it is healing. 

Why do you have several cases of Bumble foot at the same time?  Maybe you can correct something that makes it hard to heal.  Are the roosts too high or is the bedding too thin?  Just some thoughts.......

Good luck!

Ah I know I am to blame for all the bumblefoot. I think it is because I had the roost too high. I have lowered the roost and made an even shorter roost as well so that they can choose. I feel super guilty, but before this I really had no idea that a roost being too high could cause this. I also have been picking up any sticks from their yard. Since I noticed all this bumblefoot I have been super paranoid! I am glad it looks to be healing. I have not cut out anything on any of the hens, just been doing the Vetericyn wrap daily. Some of them have black scabs with no or very little swelling. I am hoping I don't have to do the surgery on any of them!

Back
Top Bottom