Bumblefoot success!

MontanaMomma

Songster
11 Years
Oct 7, 2008
I just wanted to share my bumblefoot insights and experience with anyone dealing with it. First I clean the foot by soaking it in warm water and Epson salts or soap, with help from an old toothbrush. I have learned it is best to wait until the kernel inside the abscess has hardened before conducting surgery. I was able to feel it harden by gently pressing upwards on the abscess scab and down between the toes towards the scab. (If you are lucky, the kernel might pop out as you are doing this, so have tweezers handy!) Once the kernel is hard, I cut around scab with a scalpel (available at most feed stores) or a dermal punch (available on Amazon.com). If the kernel does not come out with the scab, I push between the toes towards the scab and on the abscess on the sides of the wound so the kernel will show itself. If it does not show itself, I use a small, clean, instrument to guide it toward the wound for extraction with clean tweezers. Be careful not to break it into pieces while in the foot. Once the kernel is removed, I wrap the entire foot with a small square of nonstick gauze, waterproof tape and self adherent bandage wrap. An antibiotic cream without any numbing agents can be applied to wound. I change the wrap every day until the bandage comes off clean. Then I change it every 5-7 days, depending on ground conditions. The foot should remain wrapped until the wound is COMPLETELY healed. This may be up to a month or more. If the black scab returns and swelling continues beyond that, repeat treatment.
This website has great information as well as a fantastic video http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/how-to-treat-bumblefoot-in-chickens.aspx
Notes: 1) Prevention is best! Bumblefoot starts as a small injury that gets infected. Lower your roosts and keep the area clear of sharp objects to prevent foot injuries. Also, overweight chooks are prone to foot issues. Keeping the chicken area clear of poop will prevent an infection if an injury occurs.
2) When foot care is needed, I find it best to snuggly wrap the chicken in a large towel (cover the head too!), then place her on her back in a small dry dish tub with injured foot sticking up out of the towel.
3) Keeping the wound wrapped until it is completely healed is key. It may take a week or two before the swelling goes down then another couple weeks for the scab to fall off, so don't be discouraged. Leaving the wound exposed is begging for another infection.
4) Protect yourself from staph. Wear gloves and wipe down the area and tools with a disinfectant after surgery.

Back
Top Bottom