Bumblefoot surgery and after care questions

Gldnrose

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 6, 2013
GreenMountains/Vermont
I did surgery on one of my hens two feet almost two weeks ago.
This is the first time ever doing such a thing. Honestly was surprised I could do it. I learned a lot through this site and others, where people have posted photos and videos of the whole procedure.

Her feet are healing very nicely. My main question though is that in one of the webbed areas between her toes I still feel something. This is the same webbing area that was swollen, which made me find out she had bumblefoot in the first place. The swelling is all gone but I still feel something.

Can anyone with more experience please tell me if what I am feeling is a "kernel"? Should I attempt another surgery? If I do, should I/can I go from the top? It seems like if I cut into the webbing area, where I feel it and it is indeed another kernel then it would be very easy to get out. I feel that if I go through the pad I will have to dig much deeper into the pad because essentially I am feeling it more predominantly through the webbing. I hope this is all making sense, lol.

Or should I do a wait and see route? If I have to go back in there I would rather do it now than later. So the new surgery site can heal while the pads are still healing.

Next question.....How long do I still bandage and wrap? Do I have to keep wrapping her feet until the scabs fall off? Does anyone have any idea how long that takes? Sometimes I feel the surgery was easier than all the bandage and wrap changing, lol.

Anyway, any help is very much appreciated!!!!! I really hope this is the only case of bumblefoot I have to deal with.

In my blog (link in signature and then use the search field to find "bumblefoot") I detail my experience with bumble foot surgery which is similar to yours. In my case, my hen was clearly suffering pre-surgery, limping dramatically on that foot. After the surgery I was disappointed the swelling did not go down and the limp did not cease. Eventually the bumble came through the top of the foot at which time the hen stopped limping and seemed happy again. I did do a second surgery and removed the kernel from the top and she has never looked back. When I examine her now, she still has some swelling in that foot but has never limped again, is the first to greet me when I bring out treats, and lays regularly (always a sign of good health). I won't do surgery on her again unless she starts to have pain again. Likewise, I have several other hens who have slight swelling but since they don't appear to be bothered by it, I'm not going to put them through the trauma of a surgery.

In my blog (link in signature and then use the search field to find "bumblefoot") I detail my experience with bumble foot surgery which is similar to yours. In my case, my hen was clearly suffering pre-surgery, limping dramatically on that foot. After the surgery I was disappointed the swelling did not go down and the limp did not cease. Eventually the bumble came through the top of the foot at which time the hen stopped limping and seemed happy again. I did do a second surgery and removed the kernel from the top and she has never looked back. When I examine her now, she still has some swelling in that foot but has never limped again, is the first to greet me when I bring out treats, and lays regularly (always a sign of good health). I won't do surgery on her again unless she starts to have pain again. Likewise, I have several other hens who have slight swelling but since they don't appear to be bothered by it, I'm not going to put them through the trauma of a surgery.

Thanks for the reply and sorry it took so long to respond. We were having cable issues here and then time just flew by. I read your story about bumble foot. What a nasty little thing bumblefoot is. I really hope I don't have to deal with it again. I don't really know how my hen got it, I guess it could be anything really. I don't think its the roost being too high, its maybe 2ft high, although I have considered lowering it some more. I did get a 2x4 and am going to switch the roost to that so they have a wider area to roost. I hope that goes well.

As far as her foot goes I have not done anymore surgeries. It's not swollen, just that I can feel something, but not convinced its a leftover "kernel" so I am taking a wait and see approach. If I have to I will open it back up and see what's there if things change. Her foot definitely does not look like your hens foot did, so that's good, for now at least.
She does not limp at all and acts completely normal, running, eating, laying.

She does still have some scabs on her feet so I'm still wrapping her feet. Did you wait until the scabs were completely gone before letting yours be wrap free? I really want her to not have to have those wraps on anymore but I also do not want to chance something happening because I took them off too soon. In all the research I've done about bumblefoot and surgery for it no one really mentions how long the foot/feet have to stay wrapped.

Thanks again for you help.

You can cut through the top. I am going to continue using the bandages until the skin is completely healed. The bumble foot started with an open spot that let the staff infection in...so I want to make sure the holes are gone!

I packed the wound with triple antibiotic and put a dressing on that consisted of a little tissue or a piece of cotton ball, covered with vet wrap. I love the vet wrap because it adheres to itself and can stand getting a little wet while still protecting the wound. I changed it every other day for about 3 times. By then the wound was starting to scab over, and the scab itself will protect the wound. I left the last wrapping on, until it fell off by itself. Honestly, that was weeks later. I was amazed how long it stayed on. It is important not to put the vet wrap on too tightly or you will cut off circulation - just snug enough that it won't fall off, but not too tight.

Today I performed surgery on my bluebells as she has been limping for a while now. After enquiring at the vets who said £40 just for looking at her. It usually takes two people and she is a big heavy bird. As I was alone, I had a brainwave, I put my small does coat on her to stop her flapping about. First soaked her in the sink in warm water with Epsom salts and tea tree oil and dettol. Then wrapped her in a big bath sheet, lay her on her back which she struggled at first but be firm and she calmed down. I covered her face with an old tea towel. She let me cut out her scab and hopefully I got it all after cutting in about half an inch deep with sterile blade. Lots of blood, washed it out with antiseptic, soaked again in Epson salts,sprayed with betadine and Leucillin.Stopped bleeding with a sprinkle of cornflour. Put a large blob of Germalene on a piece of gauze. Pressed it into the hole I had made in her foot. Wrapped in petrap and a little sticky plaster round top to help hold in place. Phew ,exhausted. Hope it works. Have found some antibiotic pills that were left over from my dog and it's the same for chickens CLAVESEPTIN just 12 1/2mg per kg twice a day. Can buy for pennies online.

Last edited:
Today I performed surgery on my bluebells as she has been limping for a while now. After enquiring at the vets who said £40 just for looking at her. It usually takes two people and she is a big heavy bird. As I was alone, I had a brainwave, I put my small does coat on her to stop her flapping about. First soaked her in the sink in warm water with Epsom salts and tea tree oil and dettol. Then wrapped her in a big bath sheet, lay her on her back which she struggled at first but be firm and she calmed down. I covered her face with an old tea towel. She let me cut out her scab and hopefully I got it all after cutting in about half an inch deep with sterile blade. Lots of blood, washed it out with antiseptic, soaked again in Epson salts,sprayed with betadine and Leucillin.Stopped bleeding with a sprinkle of cornflour. Put a large blob of Germalene on a piece of gauze. Pressed it into the hole I had made in her foot. Wrapped in petrap and a little sticky plaster round top to help hold in place. Phew ,exhausted. Hope it works. Have found some antibiotic pills that were left over from my dog and it's the same for chickens CLAVESEPTIN just 12 1/2mg per kg twice a day. Can buy for pennies online.

Back
Top Bottom