Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics
I'd just like to note that since this is usually a staph infection, I think anyone performing work on such a bird should wear disposable gloves while working on them and also be sure to thoroughly wash their hands afterwards. If one had any even very small cuts or sores on their hands it would be easy to pick up a staph infection from the bird.

Betadine is an iodine topical solution used to clean wounds, not an antibiotic. If you don't have access to topical antibiotic creams, I would recommend cleaning with betadine (or other iodine solution). If you need to pack the wound, you could soak strips of sterile gauze in betadine. Or, if you're not in a hurry, there's always eBay...

I use blue kote for wounds, it seals the area, is an antiseptic, and contains gentian violet, so one must wear gloves as the purple takes a while to wear off.

I would also get an oral antibiotic.

Check out poultrypedia.com

Betadine is an iodine topical solution used to clean wounds, not an antibiotic. If you don't have access to topical antibiotic creams, I would recommend cleaning with betadine (or other iodine solution). If you need to pack the wound, you could soak strips of sterile gauze in betadine. Or, if you're not in a hurry, there's always eBay...

Ok thanks. There is a product here called Bactroban not sure if it is over there. I was wondering whether that might be similar to neosporin.

Thank you so much for all of this info! I tell you I feel like Dr Doolittle. Our rooster who is afflicted right now was born with spraddle leg and a curled up foot. From this evedr so helpful site, we found out how to help him. Our beautiful Arucana was attacked by a hawk, and again the resources here helped us save her. Again, here I am finding the info I need!!!!m Thank you Thank you

This is awesome advice and pictures. Does anyone know of a way to email this or copy and print it so that I can save this for future reference? I've tried everything I know and can't figure it out. Thanks

Do you use any type of anesthesia? If not, doesn't this procedure hurt?
Anesthesia is not needed for bumblefoot surgery. Chickens will sometimes flinch or pull their legs once the infection is removed when you're still digging around for infection. I usually use this as a sign that most or all of the infection has been removed.

The procedure does hurt as you can imagine but chickens have a much different way of handling/expressing pain than humans, which is why it's so easy to perform the procedure on them. They simply lay still most of the time. Studies have shown that chickens have adapted this way of dealing with pain so as not to draw attention to themselves by a predator.
I have a YouTube video and blog post that goes into all the details of bumblefoot surgery as we have done numerous times.

Do you use any type of anesthesia? If not, doesn't this procedure hurt?

Back
Top Bottom