Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics
I check our 2 hens weekly for foot and feather health. This week, I found the tell tale black scab on all 4 feet. They are small scabs. I did the soak, the scab removal, and the digging. No kernels, only stringy opaque goo. Maybe because I found it so early?
I'm having a hard time knowing when to stop the digging, w/out a kernel or the cheese-like stuff.
I'm looking for a video that will take me through when to stop (and show me what healthy tissue looks like.
Any suggestions?

After, I've been using vetericyn spray with a good wrap. Fingers crossed.

I check our 2 hens weekly for foot and feather health. This week, I found the tell tale black scab on all 4 feet. They are small scabs. I did the soak, the scab removal, and the digging. No kernels, only stringy opaque goo. Maybe because I found it so early?
I'm having a hard time knowing when to stop the digging, w/out a kernel or the cheese-like stuff.
I'm looking for a video that will take me through when to stop (and show me what healthy tissue looks like.
Any suggestions?

After, I've been using vetericyn spray with a good wrap. Fingers crossed.

When I find my hens are at this stage with it I don't do the surgery, I soak the foot once a day in an epsom salt solution until it goes away, which usually takes about 2 weeks.

Hello, today I made my first "surgery" on my chicken, she was very brave (I think it hurts alot)...so I removed all the black scab (I did no digging...didn't think was neccessary). So now she is in the yard eating, drinking water...I will change the bandages the day after tomorrow...if you have any more advice I gladly accept it. Thank you.

P.S How long before I see any chanegs (like no more swelling)?

Hello, today I made my first "surgery" on my chicken, she was very brave (I think it hurts alot)...so I removed all the black scab (I did no digging...didn't think was neccessary). So now she is in the yard eating, drinking water...I will change the bandages the day after tomorrow...if you have any more advice I gladly accept it. Thank you.

P.S How long before I see any chanegs (like no more swelling)?
If you properly got the infection out, swelling and redness should disappear soon after surgery. When you check the wound in a couple of days and there's redness and swelling, soak her foot in epsom salts warm water for 30 minutes. Then squeeze the heck out of the footpad while manipulating the footpad at the same time. That's the only way to get the infection out... by squeezing it out, using tweezers to dig around might help also.

I think my duck may have this! How long does it take for them to heal once you have dug around and got everything out?

This article was so helpful. I just had to conduct not one, but 2 separate surgeries three days ago on a couple of my hens. They were such good little patients, I felt sooo bad but their feet seem to be healing up nicely, I just changed the bandages yesterday and will change them again on Saturday. Thanks OP for all the pics and great advice.

I saw a different in swelling when I changed the bandages yesterday for sure, it was way down and not as red...if the swelling and redness doesn't change by the time you go to do the first dressing change, you probably will have to re-open the wound and get more of the puss out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom