Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics
I pull what I can then put either clear iodine on it or Neosporin or sometimes vetericyn., I'm trying it all. Did you see the post using the donut shape? I found some nonmedicated corn pads I think I am going to try on one of mine that has the spot but not much swelling.

If you are not giving oral antibiotics I would start her on duramycin-10.

I can't offer ideas on the surgery, as I have not done it - always used the non-invasive approaches.

Last edited:
Back again. Here are the promised pics. Sorry, forgot to take some last night before we put the BlueKote on, so it is a bit difficult to see IMO. This one has one of them stringy things. First thought it's a bit of feather that got into the wound, but wasn't. Here you can see where he was trying to cut straight down away from the wound towards the heel of her foot. Don't agree with that. What do you think? This all looks so bad to me, and I really wanna get this taken care of once and for all. But I don't wanna do any more damage than absolutely necessary. So PLEASE, if anyone could give me some advice on how to go about this, it would be greatly appreciated!
Ugh. That looks awful. I don't have much experience with bumblefoot, thank goodness, but I would try to squeeze and using sterile tweezers get as much stuff as possible out. Lots of epsom salt soakings before attempting to dig. Keep her kenneled, foot wrapped, then soak again and dig again. Put some topical antibiotics, but for a staff infection, which this is, I would use the PenG injectible. I've read some just inject right into the pad, although I don't know if it should be there or in the leg muscle above. But I would do the max injection which is usually a tenth of a cc for a full grown chicken for the max amount of days. Not sure what that would be, but if it was me, probably seven. You should go no smaller than a 20 ga needle for PenG. Most important, keep the foot from getting dirty while it is healing. Not sure how to wrap a duck foot so that it is still serviceable, but vetwrap and some gauze pads should be handy. Keep foot dry. Don't let her out until wound is healed(might try keeping her in a small straw bed area) and even then I think I would keep some athletic tape and gauze on it to help keep the germs out until scab falls off. You are going to have to change the bandages every few days until then. You could try something called WonderDust on the footpad to speed the healing. It usually scabs wounds up very quickly.

Ever since I found it last week she is inside in a smallish tub with aspen bedding. Her foot gets wrapped and tended to at least once a day, including soaking, digging and trying to get it out (which doesn't even work with tweezers). Then clear iodine, BlueKote and Neosporin before getting wrapped up in veteran and put in solitary again. I don't like keeping her all alone but that's the only way right now as she won't keep her diaper on so she can walk around inside a bit.

Will see that I get some PenG tomorrow with needle and inject it. I'm just so worried since it seems to be getting bigger, harder and hotter. I don't want it to lead to the worst all while she has to suffer and go through all the stress with us messing with her every day. She deserves better than that. And she is only a year old now :(

Back
Top Bottom