Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Best antibiotic to give after bumblefoot surgery? How much, how often and how long, please?
Thank you

Our veterinarian gave us some Trimethoprim Sulfa broken into 1/4 tablets for our 10 week old drake. His weight was 3 and a half pounds. I had to give it to him by mouth every 12 hours for 2 weeks after the surgery. :)

Best antibiotic to give after bumblefoot surgery? How much, how often and how long, please?
Thank you

Our veterinarian gave us some Trimethoprim Sulfa broken into 1/4 tablets for our 10 week old drake. His weight was 3 and a half pounds. I had to give it to him by mouth every 12 hours for 2 weeks after the surgery. :)

Good info. Can you call your vet and ask them what size the tanlets were, 'cause that comes in 400/80 mg and 800/160 mg.

-Kathy

Thank you

Good info. Can you call your vet and ask them what size the tanlets were, 'cause that comes in 400/80 mg and 800/160 mg.

-Kathy

I just happen to have the empty bottle still. :lol: It's 480mg. :)

Thank you

-Kathy

I just happen to have the empty bottle still. :lol: It's 480mg. :)

Excellent, thanks!

-Kathy

My hen has had bumble foot for almost a couple of months now and its really bad looking, she is not limping and still walks and seems to run around alright. I removed the scab and a small hard yellow thing form under it, but there is no "plug" inside but on a large amount of gooey white substance that cant be squeezed out or grasped by tweezers. its is over1 cm deep of infection, the tweezers sunk right in, what do i do? Please help! I have the vet wrap, non stick pads, scalpel, neosporin and chlorhexidine solution, but i wasn't expecting a gooey mass that i cant get out. its also bleeding a lot more than i think it should...and its hot and obviously very swollen. ** I have sprayed it heavily with chlorhexidine and let dry then applied pain relief neosporin and wrapped well until tomorrow***

Last edited:
I think my duck might have bumblefoot. At about 6 pm today she was walking around perfectly fine, and then a hour later the middle joint on her middle toe was swollen and she is limping. There is no tell-tale black scab on her foot, but she does have two tiny little scabs on the swelled up spot. Is it possible she could get bumblefoot in as little as a hour, from two tiny little punctures?

Totally normal. Disinfect the wound, put a bunch of polysporin over/in the hole, cover with gauze and vetwrap and check it in 4 days. Repeat. It could simply just be flesh or it will ooze itself out. It usually just need time for the topical antibiotic ointment to bring down the infection.
My hen has had bumble foot for almost a couple of months now and its really bad looking, she is not limping and still walks and seems to run around alright. I removed the scab and a small hard yellow thing form under it, but there is no "plug" inside but on a large amount of gooey white substance that cant be squeezed out or grasped by tweezers. its is over1 cm deep of infection, the tweezers sunk right in, what do i do? Please help! I have the vet wrap, non stick pads, scalpel, neosporin and chlorhexidine solution, but i wasn't expecting a gooey mass that i cant get out. its also bleeding a lot more than i think it should...and its hot and obviously very swollen. ** I have sprayed it heavily with chlorhexidine and let dry then applied pain relief neosporin and wrapped well until tomorrow***

Highly unlikely. Its probably just a cut that has swollen up just like it would happen with us. Bumblefoot is a staph infection that occurs over time throgh a cut or scrape in the foot. You could wait it out for a few days or just apply some pokysporin, cover with gauze then vetwrap just incase.
I think my duck might have bumblefoot. At about 6 pm today she was walking around perfectly fine, and then a hour later the middle joint on her middle toe was swollen and she is limping. There is no tell-tale black scab on her foot, but she does have two tiny little scabs on the swelled up spot. Is it possible she could get bumblefoot in as little as a hour, from two tiny little punctures? 

Highly unlikely. Its probably just a cut that has swollen up just like it would happen with us. Bumblefoot is a staph infection that occurs over time throgh a cut or scrape in the foot. You could wait it out for a few days or just apply some pokysporin, cover with gauze then vetwrap just incase.
Oh good. I thought it was a little fast. So the swelling should go down pretty soon right? I don't have any pokysporin, what does it do?

Since its a duck, I would just keep an eye on it for around 4 or 5 days to see if it gets worse or not. Wrapping duck feet is a pain for noth them and us and I wouldnt recommend it unless it gets worse over the next few days. If it has, polyspoein is just a topical antibiotic ointment humans use for cuts etc. It will fight off any bacterial infection if there is one and help heal it. But wrapping a duck foot means you end up forcing them to stay onfined or walking around with a club foot which isnt good.
Oh good. I thought it was a little fast. So the swelling should go down pretty soon right? I don't have any pokysporin, what does it do?

Back
Top Bottom