Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics
Do you guys believe that bumblefoot can cause secondary infections like sour crop or a GI bacterial infection of sorts?

Do you guys believe that bumblefoot can cause secondary infections like sour crop or a GI bacterial infection of sorts?
No. Bumblefoot is caused by a staph infection. If not treated and the infection gets to the legbone...game over, the staph infection then rapidly spreads throughout the chickens system, then death.
GI bacterial infections are most likely ecoli. Sour crop could develop into a fungal problem, maybe bacterial but I'm not sure.

I have been treating my flock of leghorns (7 hens, 1 rooster) with Tricide-neo for 7 days now for bumblefoot. (A wet muddy run most of the summer this year was the cause I think.
he.gif
Got that fixed now.
fl.gif
)

I'm going to try the surgery on one with lots of swelling. My question is should we stop soaking in Tricide-neo and do surgery to all with swelling? Also showing signs of worms, so I'm going to treat for worms with Valbazen. Can Valbazen and Tricide-neo be used at the same time?
Thanks to all who give there time to help others on BYC
bow.gif

Steve.

We have our first case of bumblefoot. I checked all our hens, and we were lucky that it was just one.

We will be doing the surgery tonight. I have the epsom salts to soak the foot to soften it up. We have the self wrap and gauze with neosporin. I have a question about Tylan. I read to treat if infection doesn't clear. Do we give the hen the shot or the foot?

We are changing out all our roost. I think ours were too thin.

Last question: If another hen doesn't have the sore but her pad is swollen, should we go ahead and give her the antibiotic or just keep an eye on her?

We have our first case of bumblefoot. I checked all our hens, and we were lucky that it was just one.

We will be doing the surgery tonight. I have the epsom salts to soak the foot to soften it up. We have the self wrap and gauze with neosporin. I have a question about Tylan. I read to treat if infection doesn't clear. Do we give the hen the shot or the foot?

We are changing out all our roost. I think ours were too thin.

Last question: If another hen doesn't have the sore but her pad is swollen, should we go ahead and give her the antibiotic or just keep an eye on her?

Dont use tylan, it is for respiratory diseases. I dont recommend an antibiotic, it is not necessary if you remove the infection. See post #253 in this link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/303829/vet-suggestion-for-non-invasive-bumblefoot-cure/250

Back
Top Bottom