Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics
Hi, I also have a chicken with this, what is best to put over the foot in wet weather, or can I use the stuff that you have and just change this every day. Many thanks angela

Hi, I also have a chicken with this, what is best to put over the foot in wet weather, or can I use the stuff that you have and just change this every day. Many thanks angela
Instead of vet wrap, use duct tape. Put it on the same way as vet wrap, not tight, strips between the toes. To remove it a couple of days later, you can peel it off or use scissors to cut it vertically down the leg. Be careful not to snip toes, you should be able to pull it off when you cut it down that far anyway. Chickens cant pull it off with their beak neither. I prefer scissors rather than peeling it off.

The Vetricyn is an antibiotic. The article I posted explains about superbugs and how the antibiotics are not helping but actually hurting, both humans and animals. If you want to take care of this chicken and really get rid of the infection quickly and non-toxically, use Sovereign Silver or another colloidal silver product (superbugs can't live if treated with silver) on her foot and use the homeopathic remedy Hepar Sulphur Calcaria. They are little pellets and the chickens will usually pick them up and eat them. Don't you touch the pellets with your fingers because the medicine is on the outside of the pellet and would be absorbed by your hand. Not that it would hurt you, but that it would make it ineffective for your chicken. You can also use the little cup the homeopathic pellets comes with to drop the pellet into a grape half that has a little slit cut into it.
Re Vetricyn. It's not an antibiotic. It's actually water and about 3% bleach, and looks to be a minute quantity of Oxine -less than 1%, and written out as 2 separate ingredients. So save the $30.00 and make your own. I bought it last week and when I read the label , I packed it back up and will send it back.

Ruth

Do you do this by yourself or do you have someone to hold your chick? And do you stand her in the sink to soak her feet?

Ruth

Do you do this by yourself or do you have someone to hold your chick? And do you stand her in the sink to soak her feet?
Not Ruth,

But the ones that I have done, I usually put them in my back bath room sink. I can normally shut the door and let them stand in the water, when i go back and check on them they are still standing there.. At least so far. I rinse all down with either a Quaternary Ammonia sanitizer or bleach water after. I also wrap the bird in a towel and have the foot over the sink so that I can rinse as I go.. I had to have the DW help hold one, the others have just laid there while working on them. So I guess I could say it depends on the Bird.

Good Luck

Last edited:
I performed this surgery on one of my hens today. I noticed this morning she had a small bump with a scab on the top of her foot and the pad of her foot was swelled. So I picked her up and checked the bottom of her foot and sure enough, she had a black scab the size of a pencil eraser on the bottom of her foot.

She did great and was very calm. I used an old ice cream pail for soaking her foot, and laid her on the floor with a towel over her head to calm her. I had my brother hold her down to free up my hands.

It took about an hour to clean everything out. It was hard because the infection was all the way through to the top of her foot. I think I got everything, but I am going to check her tomorrow morning just to be sure. For now I have her foot wrapped in gauze and taped with water proof bandage tape.

The hen that I performed this on is 5 years old, she has curled toes, and she has arthritis. So she has always had some feet problems. I think she may have gotten Brumble Foot from jumping down from the roosts. I have no idea how long she has had it, so I'm hoping I caught it in time. She didnt seem to be limping at all from it. In fact she seemed normal.

I'll update on how she's doing in the morning.

Ginger (the chicken I have with brumble foot) is doing great today. The bottom of her foot is already closed up. The top is kind of bloody, but it looks good. The swelling all went down significantly. Im really hoping that I got all of the infection out of her foot.

Back
Top Bottom