Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics
We just finished the surgery on our Rhode Island Red rooster. We got a descent sized nugget out, but how do we know if we got it all?

Watch for the hole in the foot to close. If you did not get it all it will still show signs of infection.. The time it takes depends on how bad the infection was and the size of the hole after.

Not sure what your girls are presently roosting on, but if the board in flat and a couple of inches wide that should be good. If it's full of splinters and poop that could be a problem. I think the main problem with high roosts is the bird jumps or flys down and lands on something that can cut or puncture the skin, then infection gets in. If you have deep bedding it shouldn't be a problem. If you have a chicken yard with sharp objects laying around or chicken wire ends sticking up or other things that will poke, that could be a problem. When the weather is warm and the barnyard is muddy thats a perfect enviroment for staph to develop. All it needs is a cut or puncture to enter.

Just have to say thanks bunches to Ruth who posted the "how to" pictures on taking care of this problem. A picture is certainly worth a thousand words when having to perform this surgery. It went exactly as the pictures showed and my sweet girl Olive hardly even has a noticeable limp today. I'm sure the limp is more from the bandages than pain now, however. Thanks again, Ruth!
wee.gif

I think I have a blue Marans with bumblefoot? It doesn't look as bad as the articles I've read on it, but it looks like that's what it is.
This photo is before I cleaned her up, but I noticed she had a little limp and that the pads of her feet were swollen.
I washed them good and soaked in salt water for 10 minutes or so. I put on Neosporin and wrapped her feet.
Do you think cutting into her foot is necessary? I'm afraid of doing more damage.
This is my first experience with bumblefoot, please help!

PS- Their roosts are sideways 2x4's so it's about 2" thick and flat. I keep the roost clean, but they free range all day so they're always walking in dirt, mud & sand.

I think I have a blue Marans with bumblefoot? It doesn't look as bad as the articles I've read on it, but it looks like that's what it is.
This photo is before I cleaned her up, but I noticed she had a little limp and that the pads of her feet were swollen.
I washed them good and soaked in salt water for 10 minutes or so. I put on Neosporin and wrapped her feet.
Do you think cutting into her foot is necessary? I'm afraid of doing more damage.
This is my first experience with bumblefoot, please help!

PS- Their roosts are sideways 2x4's so it's about 2" thick and flat. I keep the roost clean, but they free range all day so they're always walking in dirt, mud & sand.
Is the darker spot on her foot kind of like a scab? I think it is early bumblefoot and it is better to cut it out early than wait until it is bad. Just follow the beginning of this thread. The directions are really good. It is amazing how little they seem to feel when you do it. The first time is the worst but it is all just nerves. It really isnt' too bad to have to do. Good luck.

I would like to thank you for this thread. I was taking care of my neighbors chickens while they were in Alaska for a couple of weeks. I noticed that one of their girls had the early stages of bumblefoot, but wasn't able to get a hold of them to see if they were okay with me cutting into their bird. I opted to wait 4 days until they came back and let them make the decision for themselves. They have been raising chickens for many years and this was the first time they ever encountered it. When they returned, I told them what was going on and let them know that there was a treatment for it. They did a search on bumblefoot and followed all the instructions on how to do the surgery. Everything went great and they were able to save their bird.

When I talked with him this week, he told me that when I first told him about this, he thought I was BS'ing him. No BS here!
big_smile.png
So, with the help of everyone out there and posts like this, a very sweet bird was treated and saved her from the pain. Thank you!

Wendy

Back
Top Bottom