Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics
We have a duck with bumblefoot for the first time. We caught it still early (I think) and gonna try to remove it tomorrow as it is quite late today. We got her inside for the night to keep her quiet and out of the mud as it has and will be raining all week here in WI.

The question is though: since a duck has webbed feet, how do you wrap the foot after the surgery? And what can I do to keep the wound clean and without any more infection to come in? Obviously I think we gotta keep her inside for a while after the surgery... Has anyone done surgery on a duck before? Thanks in advance...

I would not cut her foot, not if you have caught it early. No need, and it increases the risk.

You can soak the foot in Epsom salt solution (use a small, flat-bottomed bucket or large bowl or a compress, but do not let her drink any of it). After the soak, you can either put triple antibiotic ointment on the foot (especially at night, since they won't be swimming and running around as much, or you can use clear iodine and dab just a bit on the bumble).

If you go with the triple antibiotic (no painkiller), you will need to apply it two or three times a day till the bumble is gone and sometimes that takes a few weeks. The clear iodine is only applied once, then you wait a few days, soak the foot, remove the scab, and reapply if necessary. No daily treatment.

Here is what Haunted55 found last year.

On July 1st, I found one of my Pekin ducks with what I would consider a bad case of Bumblefoot. Both feet were involved and I'm ashamed to say, the only way I found it was she was limping. One foot had 7 and the other had 3. I was able to grab her and bring her into the house and put her into a warm bath to clean and soak. Two water changes later and softened feet, all I had time to do was paint the bumbles with colorless iodine, grabbed the wrong stuff, and put her into a dog crate in my house until I could get everything ready to operate and get them gone. Did I mention the thought of this scared me half to death?

Sad to say it took 6 days before i was able to get everything together and someone to help out with the 'cure'. The following pictures are what we found after the bath we gave before the planned surgery to remove these things.

As can be seen, there really wasn't much to operate on, even though I was prepared to do just that. No matter how much squeezing or prodding or soaking, there just wasn't anything more to come out, it was all on the scabs that were covering the sores. The swelling was down from the 'marbles' I saw when I first found them. I poured betadine over the ones I had opened and painted the ones that I hadn't again with the iodine and put her back into her crate with clean bedding.

the next pictures are of the same Pekin and anothe duck, Dottie the Mallard, who was also found limping.

As can be seen in the first two pictures, the bumbles have been dramatically reduced on the Pekin with just the iodine application and the smaller ones totally gone. The last four pictures are of the Mallard who is still under going the iodine applications.

As can be seen, this is how the left and right foot look tonight on the Pekin duck. The heels being the worst are still showing infection and need for more treatment. tomorrow, I will again give a bath and pull/cut out the scabbing and treat with straight iodine this time. These spots are now flat or as flat as they should be considering the part of the foot they are on. I will still touch up the places that had the spots before as well.

Last edited:
Thanks Amiga. Had found that thread too and read it. Was just wondering what others think to do. And why clear iodine? Could I use the regular iodine as I already have that at home?

Thanks Amiga. Had found that thread too and read it. Was just wondering what others think to do. And why clear iodine? Could I use the regular iodine as I already have that at home?
I am not entirely sure about the why, but clear iodine also has some ammonia in it, if I recall correctly, and that may help the iodine penetrate the skin and begin to lock up the infection-related material (a.k.a. pus and bacteria). Haunted55 is not the only BYC member to try this, I think Miss Lydia may have used it on one of her chickens, and there have been others as well.

We have not had a case of bumblefoot here (thank the Lord) since I learned about this method, but I plan to use it next time. What has worked for me, though slower, and with no cutting, is Epsom salt compresses twice a day the first two or three days, followed by triple antibiotic ointment (no painkiller). Then just t.a.o. two of three times a day, especially at night just before bedtime (no swimming overnight). Longest it has taken to get rid of it was about five weeks for the worst case. But it's easy to slather on some ointment a few times a day. I would just put a tube in my pants pocket, and nab the duck when I could.

Our principle rooster has had a swollen foot for about a week now. We are newbies (about 1.5 years with a flock that began with 3 and now is about 30+) living in Brazil. The locals told us to treat it with the bark of a tree here; boiling it in water, then soaking the roosters foot in it daily. We did that, but it did not seem to be working. His foot is big and hot to the touch so I know it's infected. After reading this blog, I attempted to clean his wound and remove the "kernel" as suggested, but when I went to work on it up close and clean, the dark area was about the size of a quarter with another dark area over the same location on the top of the foot about the size of a dime. I found the skin super difficult to cut into and the area was SO huge, that I stopped, put on some neosporin, then wrapped it. I should have taken a photo. I think the job is beyond my capacity. The rooster did indeed flinch when I was working and I did not have the heart to dig into his foot to such a huge extreme. I felt like I'd be torturing him. Any advice? Ugh ~ thank you so much.

Our principle rooster has had a swollen foot for about a week now. We are newbies (about 1.5 years with a flock that began with 3 and now is about 30+) living in Brazil. The locals told us to treat it with the bark of a tree here; boiling it in water, then soaking the roosters foot in it daily. We did that, but it did not seem to be working. His foot is big and hot to the touch so I know it's infected. After reading this blog, I attempted to clean his wound and remove the "kernel" as suggested, but when I went to work on it up close and clean, the dark area was about the size of a quarter with another dark area over the same location on the top of the foot about the size of a dime. I found the skin super difficult to cut into and the area was SO huge, that I stopped, put on some neosporin, then wrapped it. I should have taken a photo. I think the job is beyond my capacity. The rooster did indeed flinch when I was working and I did not have the heart to dig into his foot to such a huge extreme. I felt like I'd be torturing him. Any advice? Ugh ~ thank you so much.
Can you soak the foot? Also, if you can get ahold of some oral antibiotics, with the leg warm like that I think it is safer to try to treat the infection that seems to be moving into the body. I realize things are very different where you are, but feed stores here sell Duramycin-10. It gets to the extremities well, I am told. I think the generic name for it is oxytetracycline hydrochloride.

I would soak the foot, in Epsom salt solution if you can get the E.s., or a mild salt solution, but don't let him drink it - I have ducks, and when we need to soak feet, I use compresses (clean rags soaked in the solution) or a large bowl with a flat bottom that the duck cannot drink from. Epsom salt is a laxative, and salt water is not good for them to drink.

Anyway, soaking ought to loosen the scab. Then I would gently pick at the scab, see if I could get it to come off from around the edges, at least peel it part way.

Now, with ducks, the pus is chunky, not at all fluid. I don't know if underneath the scab you would have anything runny or if, like ducks, you would need to use a syringe and tweezers to get it out of there.

Last edited:
Thank you Amiga ~ yes, I agree. Since my post I have come to realize, with much greater clarity, the compounding factor of "infection" on top of Bumblefoot. Poor guy! No wonder he was flinching so much. I feel so bad! We'll have to see what the local feed stores have here on Monday. Many people have chickens here, so I'm sure I can get my hands on some antibiotics. I found this discussion along the way on another site I got off of this one. I'm posting it here just as an FYI for anyone else in my position who might one day wonder onto this post. Thanks again for your help. We'll have to decide if we can save him, or if we are better off just putting him down. I'm so sad :-(.

My Bumble Foot treatment by Bill Ludwig.
The following is an all out treatment. Mild infections can sometimes heal on there own or with much less bother than the following treatment plan. For very mild cases (small scab and no swelling) I will just clean and bandage for 1 to 2 weeks. For a medium infection (small scab and minor swelling of the foot pad) I will give Pen-G injections and clean and bandage. For very bad cases (large scab and major swelling of entire foot) I use the following. This information is based on my personal experience. I have no back round or education in veterinarian medicine
Bumble Foot is a staph infection and can spread to the "hock" joint as well. What has worked for me is injections of Pen-G. This is a basic form of penicillin and works very well on is type of staph infection. It will take some of your time for a week. You will need to soak the foot and bandage it also.
Things you will need:
1) Pen-G This can be purchased at feed stores or Tractor Supply Co. No prescription needed. Small bottle $9.00
2) 3ml syringe with a 25 gage needle. Shorter needle is easier. I use 1/2 or 5/8 inch. Get this at a pharmacy. Cost about 25 cents each. You may want several incase you bend a needle.
3) Rubbing alcohol
4) Gaze
5) Water proof bandaging tape
6) Epson salts
7) Neosporin or generic triple antibiotic ointment
8) Time and TLC
I have found that the lancing and squeezing is a waste of time.
Soak the foot in warm Epson salt solution. Mix according to package. About 15 - 20 minutes.
Apply Neosporin ( triple antibiotic ointment) and bandage. It will get dirt in it. Do the best you can allowing for free movement of foot.
Injections .
Allow Pen-G to warm to room temp. Shake pen-g well just before putting in syringe. Pull in about 3/4 CC (same as ml.). Pen-G is very thick, this will be slow.
Injection can be given in breast or thigh.
It must be given in muscle tissue taking care not to hit a bone.
Find the spot you want and clean with alcohol.
It helps if someone can help hold the bird now.
The Pen-G will want to plug the needle so just before putting the needle in you need to clear it by pushing some out. Keep 1/2 CC in syringe. This is the amount I used for a 4-5 lb. bird.
Insert the syringe and slowly withdraw it while injecting.
If the medicine wont push out the needle, withdraw the needle and clear it and try again.
If you have never done this I know it sounds difficult and even scary. Its not so bad.
Clean syringe with alcohol or replace with a new one.
Repeat for five days.
Now clean and bandage every 2 - 3 days till scabbed area looks mostly healed.
The swelling will last maybe a week longer after injections are done.
The scab may take several weeks to completely heal.

This link also provides a WEALTH of information about all kinds of foot and leg ailments of chickens and roosters.
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

I have a hen that has had bumble foot on one toe for two months!! I've lost count of how many kernels I've removed and how much pus I've removed. I tried 10 days of penicillin intramuscular injections, and every other remedy the Internet has to offer! If it's not gone by Wednesday I'm taking her to a Vet

Back
Top Bottom