Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics
this is an amazing thread, thanks to everyone who has added to it.

are there any wisdom nuggets from people who haven't had happy endings?
with all of my chicken drama I expect the worse, but this thread makes it seem like bumblefoot is very curable, with a minimally negative outcome.

I just did my first surgery, one girl had a swollen foot with a big plug on one foot and just a black scab (now removed) on the other. I'm hoping for the best and I have alot to go on from all of this, but I'm very interested to hear the other outcomes that other people have had.

thanks for the continual support BYCers!

I know they use sugar and iodine regularly for foundered horses.
One part Betadine to 3 to 4 parts sugar, the Betadine has an anti fungal, anti bacterial effect and gently sterilizes the tissues without damaging them, promoting healing... and the sugar has a strong poulticing effect and draws the soreness and inflammation out.
Sure wouldn't hurt to try it on bumblefoot. Honey and Betadine also work in much the same way.

It has been 2 weeks since I tried to remove bumblefoot from my 2 biggest birds. Im not sure if I was sucessfull. I do know that there is no infection and they don't seem to be limping or the least bit uncomfortable. I followed the bandage instructions. But I just never got a "kernal" out of either bird. There wasn't puss or gunk either. I did remove a thick little black scab and digged around for the kernal (plus massage and soaking), but never got a kernal. So I'm not sure if what I did was correct. My 2 New Hampshire Reds are huge hens with big thick ankles and giant feet. When I look at their feet I see a foot pad that is also big and protrudes down the size of a large milk dud. It might be normal size because they are giant birds. None of the other smaller birds have foot pads like that. I wish I felt confident that I cured bumblefoot. They seem fine. I also did some major changes to their perches. They have a ladder system to get up as high as they want. No jumping or flying down with a crash in the morning (the possible cause of their bumblefoot).

Last edited:
of the four feet I did, two look really good. the one with the big abscess looks black, I'm guessing bruised from the trauma? today is day two of post op, I'm wrought with worry but am surrounded by good advice. thanks and keep it coming!

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if there was an alternative ointment that can be applied to the wound for bumblefoot other then neosporin. In Australia we don't have that ointment. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Neosporin is a triple antibiotic cream used for cuts and scrapes - it's bacitracin, neomycin and polymyxin B. Simple bacitracin or bacitracin/neomycin are often substituted. Whatever antibiotic ointment you would get at a local pharmacy to put on a cut should be fine.

Note: I'm not a long-time chicken farmer, but I am a med student.

Ok thanks. Yeh they seem to want prescriptions here to get a hold of antibiotic ointments as well. I'll check with a chemist and see whats available. Would the use of Betadine ointment which is an antiseptic ointment be ok to use however may not be as effective to use?

Back
Top Bottom