Bumblefoot Tetroxy

BunsenNBeaker

In the Brooder
May 24, 2021
Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a 6-year-old chicken that I have raised since a chick. We have 7 others but, she's my first. She recently got bumblefoot; the first we have had in our flock thus far. šŸ¤žšŸ» I was able to remove it after repeated soaks in Epson salt. It looks much better thankfully, but my question is about the medicine my Vet prescribed particularly the preparation of it. I was given Tetroxy HCA 280 on Friday and mixed it according to his directions but after further reading on the medication, I'm wondering if he got it wrong and if I should call and get a new batch. ( his instructions ... Mix ONE bag into ONE gallon of water. Mix ONE ounce of mixture into ONE gallon of drinking water.) Now I've never treated any of my chickens for any health problems before, but from what I read online the mixture is supposed to be mixed fresh daily. So, does that mean the One-ounce premixed gallon mixture into a fresh gallon of water daily? Or should I not have mixed the full bag of powder into the water like instructed? Does it have a shelf life after being mixed? I just want to make sure I'm going about this the right way since his directions are a bit lacking and somewhat conflicting with the information I have read online. If anyone has used Tetroxy by premixing it first and has been successful at curing bumblefoot please let me know. Or if anyone knows that for certain this is not an effective way to use the treatment and that it has a shelf life after mixing please let me know. Thank you to all who read and for any help that applies.

Did you remove the bumble and open the abscess on the foot after the soak? As far as I know, i've never heard of bumble foot being cured with internal medication.

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a 6-year-old chicken that I have raised since a chick. We have 7 others but, she's my first. She recently got bumblefoot; the first we have had in our flock thus far. šŸ¤žšŸ» I was able to remove it after repeated soaks in Epson salt. It looks much better thankfully, but my question is about the medicine my Vet prescribed particularly the preparation of it. I was given Tetroxy HCA 280 on Friday and mixed it according to his directions but after further reading on the medication, I'm wondering if he got it wrong and if I should call and get a new batch. ( his instructions ... Mix ONE bag into ONE gallon of water. Mix ONE ounce of mixture into ONE gallon of drinking water.) Now I've never treated any of my chickens for any health problems before, but from what I read online the mixture is supposed to be mixed fresh daily. So, does that mean the One-ounce premixed gallon mixture into a fresh gallon of water daily? Or should I not have mixed the full bag of powder into the water like instructed? Does it have a shelf life after being mixed? I just want to make sure I'm going about this the right way since his directions are a bit lacking and somewhat conflicting with the information I have read online. If anyone has used Tetroxy by premixing it first and has been successful at curing bumblefoot please let me know. Or if anyone knows that for certain this is not an effective way to use the treatment and that it has a shelf life after mixing please let me know. Thank you to all who read and for any help that applies.
Call your vet and have them clarify their instructions! You paid them for a service, so they should help you with questions about the visit/medication...just sayin'

Bumblefoot has to be treated at the foot, however, an oral antibiotic may be needed to help with secondary infection.

Tetroxy HCA 280 dosing can also be found in this link - you may find that helpful, BUT your vet gave you instructions, so they may have a reason for the dose they told you to use!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/oxytetracyline-and-tetracycline-powder-doses.1022878/

Back
Top Bottom