Bumblefoot Treatment and Broken Leg Feathers

Called and spoke with my vet today. He said for me to put the chickies on pine pellets to keep the moisture off their feet, and also to remove the bandages since it was holding moisture against the skin.

Also, I was given a mixture of DMSO, Baytril and banamine to assist in the swelling and agitation of the wound. I was also told to soak in a strong epsom salt bath for 10-15 minutex 1x daily. The solution is applied topically and absorbs very readily. He has had success with treating bumblefoot with this solution before
smile.png
Here's hoping that it works again! (not that the rain is helping matters!)

Oh Lordy...I can empathize too!! I just did my first attempt at treating bumblefoot this morning...my stomach was queasy!! I soaked in Epsom salts first, then cut the plug out. I tried to get as much firm and liquid stuff out as I could, but I was afraid to dig too much or to squeeze too hard, so I'm sure I left a lot of infection in there
sad.png
I put a little antibiotic cream on the opening and gauzed the area. I also gave her 250 mg of amoxicillin. I think I could have gotten more out, but those danged gloves didn't allow as much fine motor movement as I needed...
I've been reading SO many bumblefoot postings recently on here. I wonder why??? I hate to say it, but misery loves company, so I'm glad to hear of other's experiences to help me figure out different things to try...

I reopened my girls bandages this morning. I think it looks better and you can tell more drained out. One area still has infection that I'll need to get out. This has been quite an experience. Did you get amoxicillin through your vet?

Quote:
I'm hoping to see drainage when I check my girls bandages
fl.gif
tomorrow. I don't think I did a good job wrapping her foot up, so may need to redo it this evening. I ordered amoxicillin caps (250 mg) from First State Vet. Supply, online. I tried slipping a capsule into a grape to see if she'd just gulp it down, but she managed to eat the grape but NOT the capsule. So I cut it open and mixed the contents into a small spoon of yogurt.

You probably did send it to me. I've just read so much I can't keep anything straight. I'm going to order the amoxicillin tonight. I have the fish dip arriving tomorrow. I may start that on my other girl that has a minor case.

Back
Top Bottom